1 month and still wheezing

Monika S

Songster
11 Years
Jun 5, 2012
First off, there is no Avian vet anywhere close to where I live. The closest is about a hour away from my house. So on January 1st I made a post about Mimi, my 10 year old. She's been wheezing and I have tried treating her for different things. The first treatment was Fenbendazole for gapeworm. Next I got a prescription from the vet a hour away from me for an infection, Amoxicillin. Lastly I gave her Ivermectin for birds (from a bird store) for possible air sac mites. I'm not sure she drank enough, for she didn't drink all of it, but none of this made her wheezing any better. Saturday morning I woke up to blood in her cage. It looked like it was sneezed or coughed out. She had it in her mouth and on her beak when I woke up. There has been no blood since. She has no nasal discharge, but she does shake her head and wipe her beak. I don't know if it's my imagination, but when I hug her, it feels like there's bugs crawling into my hair. I checked her and I cannot see anything moving on her. I have her inside of my house at this time and separated from the rest of the flock which show no signs of illness. Now the only thing that comes up with coughing up blood when I google it, is Infectious Laryngotracheitis. However, I'm wondering, is it possible that the Ivermectin is actually helping and the blood is from dead air sac mites? I treated her from Sunday to Monday and she had the blood incident Friday to Saturday. Her wheezing seems to be getting a little worse since then. However, she has normal poos and eats fairly normal as well. I would also appreciate any other insights or treatments I might have missed. Also, could I give her Heartguard from my dog? I would be able to see better if she was to actually ingesting it. And if I can, how much would i give a 5 lb chicken? It has 136 mcg Ivermectin and 114 mg Pyrantel and is for a 26 to 50 lbs dog.

Attachments

• 2022 01 05_2.JPG
    2022 01 05_2.JPG
    428.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 2022 01 01_3.JPG
    2022 01 01_3.JPG
    489.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 2022 01 01_2.JPG
    2022 01 01_2.JPG
    610.3 KB · Views: 5
Is her crop emptying overnight?

If you treated with Ivermectin, that would have taken care of Air Sac Mites if this was her issue. Air Sac Mite symptoms include sneezing, coughing, weight loss, mucous, saliva and labored breathing.

Safeguard if given as instructed in your previous thread would have taken care of Gapeworms.

In the video you had posted, it sounded like it may have been respiratory illness, but it all could be age related as well. Tylan/Tylosin was suggested as a treatment to try to see if there was improvement. Amoxicillin is great to treat certain infections, but it's not an effective treatment or commonly used to treat symptoms of respiratory disease. Amoxicillin targets the cell wall and the most common respiratory disease Mycoplasma has no cell wall, this is the reason why Tylan/Tylosin was suggested.

Personally, I see no reason to treat yet again with another dewormer. You have given Safeguard and Ivermectin.

Sometimes there is no cure for certain conditions that a bird has. Seeking testing from the vet may give you a better idea of what, if any, treatment steps or medications need to be pursued.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mimi-is-wheezing.1506230/

Back
Top Bottom