1 week old duclking

BUNNYBUCK

Hatching
7 Years
Aug 2, 2012
Hi,
I have 9 ducklings that are one week old. 8 of them are doing fine and growing. The 9th duckling isn't doing well. He is about the size he was on day 2, and about 1/2 to 1/3 the size of the others. He seems to be getting backed up. He eats and drinks, but can't poop. He has a bit of a crusty butt, and he is just puffing out, and feels rock hard. I have given him baths and cleaned the area daily, and his isn't getting any better. Do I need to somehow open his vent or give him something. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi,
I have 9 ducklings that are one week old. 8 of them are doing fine and growing. The 9th duckling isn't doing well. He is about the size he was on day 2, and about 1/2 to 1/3 the size of the others. He seems to be getting backed up. He eats and drinks, but can't poop. He has a bit of a crusty butt, and he is just puffing out, and feels rock hard. I have given him baths and cleaned the area daily, and his isn't getting any better. Do I need to somehow open his vent or give him something. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
sounds like your duckling may have what is called Failure to thrive. there is too many things going on and theres a good possibility it won't make it. I know it's hard. But also you want to do all you can for the lil one just in case there could be a miracle. I read on here that when chicks get pasted up that ground oatmeal was good for it. take regular cooking oatmeal not instant and grind it in your blender or food processor and mix with it reg. feed. I hope you can help the lil one.
fl.gif
if he's eating and drinking thats a good sign. also you may want to pick up some poultry vitamins and offer in it's water.

Thanks. I will try the oatmeal right now.

Thanks. I will try the oatmeal right now.
Please keep us updated. Just thought of something else, molasses is used when a duck or chicken has eaten something toxic, the reson it's used is it works like a laxative I wonder if you mixed a tiny amt. in with the oats and fed that to your duckling if that would help get his food through. if the oatmeal was a little wet it may it it better too. I guess you'll have to experiment and see which way he'll eat it better.

Bunnybuck, when you say he is puffing out and feeling rock hard, could you give any more details. Is he laboring to breathe, meaning he has his bill open to some degree, and is he breathing hard? How is his heart rate compared to your other ducks...is it a lot faster? Where is the rock hardness...in his abdomen? Trying to figure out what's wrong but need a little more info. Can you get some nanosilver solution such as Silver Biotics, or a good colloidal silver solution such as Sovereign Silver (have him drink a tablespoonful of silver solution mixed with a tb. of distilled water) while you're trying to diagnose the problem...this will help prevent him from getting an infection.

One product that should clear your duck's constipation and also help detoxify him since he's backed up is aloe vera juice. George's or Lily of the Desert are some of the better brand's and are available at most supplement stores such as The Vitamin Shoppe. They're fairly tasteless and you can give your duck a tsp. of it mixed with a couple tablespoons of filtered water. If you give the silver solution, it must be given on an empty crop (at least an hour after the duck's eaten), and after you give the silver solution, wait 1/2 hour before giving any other food or drink.

He doesn't want to take the oatmeal or molasses from me. He seems to want his own water dish. I'll keep trying, but now he is sleeping with the others.

His breathing seems ok. His bill isn't open. His, hard part is mainly his abdomen, tummy area above his vent. His heart rate looks about the same as the others.

Epsom salts is also a laxative. I just get the jitters thinking of proper dosage for an animal that tiny. Don't want to harm the little one trying to help.

He doesn't want to take the oatmeal or molasses from me. He seems to want his own water dish. I'll keep trying, but now he is sleeping with the others.
Add some oatmeal to his water dish so it's pretty soupy that way when he drinks it he'll get some of it. I understand about not wanting to over load this lil ones tummy just a tiny bit of molasses to get it going smoothly.

Back
Top Bottom