1+ year and still learning.

Lol. Yes. I was hoping to figure out early on male or female. Because I currently have two legbar cockerals . I really don't want anymore. I've tried and tried to give away one of the cockerals but no body seems to want them. So I've been delaying the inevitable but hubby says one of them their days are numbered. I've finally committed to which one. My son wanted one over the other of course it wasn't the one I wanted. So I had to break his little heart when I told him which one I was going to cull.View attachment 3612632
Oh and so sorry one of the boys has to go. :hugs

Beautiful flock! ❤
Thank you. I think so as well. These are my second flock. Here is a picture of my favorite girls that come when I call and run to me when the cockerals are after them...lol

Attachments

• 20230807_072631.jpg
    20230807_072631.jpg
    978.8 KB · Views: 6
Lol. Yes. I was hoping to figure out early on male or female. Because I currently have two legbar cockerals . I really don't want anymore. I've tried and tried to give away one of the cockerals but no body seems to want them. So I've been delaying the inevitable but hubby says one of them their days are numbered. I've finally committed to which one. My son wanted one over the other of course it wasn't the one I wanted. So I had to break his little heart when I told him which one I was going to cull.View attachment 3612632
It looks very wet in there...which is the perfect breeding ground for coccidiosis.

Oh and so sorry one of the boys has to go. :hugs
Thank you. I would keep him but he's been challenging me so he has to go. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. I know he's just doing his job but the one I'm planning to keep. Is so much more respectful to me and the girls. I hope he keeps his disposition after he becomes king of the pen.

Thank you. I would keep him but he's been challenging me so he has to go. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. I know he's just doing his job but the one I'm planning to keep. Is so much more respectful to me and the girls. I hope he keeps his disposition after he becomes king of the pen.
You made the right decision. Many cockerels that start out nipping and giving you the eye will get more aggressive as time goes on. It's a tough decision to make but ultimately the right one. :hugs

Actually Kiki it is not. That is rich nice dark soil. I use it in garden when I clean it out. They scratch and take baths in there. I add shavings weekly and they keep it well turned. It is also a covered coop.
Great! The first picture looks wet. The second one didn't.

I've also never had a sick bird and they forage daily. I feed them all 22% feed from a mill out of Alabama and that feed is further enhanced with 6 way grains and the get fresh fruits and vegetables from my garden in the summer and I sprout for them in the winter months. I'm new but a caring attentive owner. TSC knows me by name. This was my first hatching attempt. Even their crumbles and water are designed to prevent coccidosis. But thank you for all your input. I'm never above learning from others.

Back
Top Bottom