10-mo-old cockerel bullying lead hen

Well, she doesn't fight him, she avoids/runs away and gives me the stink eye/I'm so forlorn look and moan if I let him out.

But she sticks her head in his kennel if she wants something there - she acts like he has no exclusive space - and he then nips at her comb - she is loosing points!

I think that it's slowly improving. I would give it more time, but to me it sounds like interesting observable behaviors that I would enjoy seeing how it goes. I think at this point I would leave him out and see. She might hide for a bit while yet but should eventually come around.

So you think it's OK to risk her getting bloodied again? Today she was desperate to lay an egg in his coop again (I've put wood ash in the nesting box and it is clean....but maybe something still wrong there...) so at the moment she is in his kennel on the nest and he is out enjoying himself with the flock. So I will see if she'll go out without complaining. Honestly, I think she is so headstrong and used to having everything her way, and he is a little immature and into enforcing his rule - it's a real clash of personalities! I agree, they are very interesting, and absolute drama queens to boot (including him)....!!

I would risk it, it shouldn't be as intense now, they should have calmed down a bit, but I would watch them for a while and potentially separate him out when you can't be there.

well, she's laid her egg and desperate to get out of the kennel. he ran up and started facing off with her through the chainlink, pecking and a flog, and her comb is bloody again. I'm going to keep her in the kennel a while longer so she doesn't take me for a chauffer service any time she feels like going into his coop.....then I'll try letting her out and hover nearby, ready to break up a fight I guess!

Really? I thought that roosterless flocks of older chickens sometimes have trouble accepting a roo, and older chickens may reject a roo they don't think is up to snuff - she is the one chicken who has always been on top. Also, this guy doesn't seem to be a huge "wow" to the girls - most of the time his dancing does not get results. But they like to hang out with him, and yes, she is the only one rejecting him - after a couple weeks when they got along just fine. Something happened that I didn't observe that changed the relationship.

Yesterday went so-so - she continues to squat once for him, and run away the rest of the time. But she was able to hang out with the group, he allowed that, and she hung out sometimes close to him, so that was a good sign. On the other hand, he got feisty around food time - I think he gets riled up about the dynamic, and ends up taking it out on the other girls - he gets slightly agitated and makes quick moves, occasionally chasing away a girl, rather than playing the the big food provider roll. I made a point of only feeding with the two of them separated by the kennel walls, to try to avoid more direct confrontation. Possibly he may be one of those roos who is not as nice to the hens as he could be - or he might relax and act more normal if this conflict gets resolved.

He's still learning, but to me he sounds like he's trying, it can take some time but in the end I think your girls will love him, he sounds like he's trying to ask nicely not just dominate and take.

As far as feeding, I always scatter treats in a big area so everyone can get some, he should be excitedly chit chiting them to show them food. Mine get really excited. So he may be getting hyper stimulated and just needs to calm down.

So he may eventually get it. I think he's a decent rooster. I have had terrors that just mate and run repeatedly without and other care, yours is trying.

My hens can end up loving their roosters sometimes, so I always pick the good ones and get rid of the bad ones, yours would be given a chance as he's still not mature, but is showing good behaviors, a few more months and he will settle down and then I would judge him.

oldhenlikesdogs, thanks so much for your thoughts on this - I am really having trouble getting to the point of advertising him, and also agree with you that he shows some good qualities and potentials - when he does not get overwrought (and he's had his fill of mating!) he seems to really want to make the effort to be a good guard and caretaker, and kind of jolly-talks the girls. He typically tidbits like crazy when he is in the kennel so I think he would tend more to that behavior if he wasn't anxious about the power struggle. I will give him more time!

I'm glad to hear it, a good rooster takes time to develop as well as time for his hormones to even out and for him to start thinking more clearly, and to think more about his responsibilities, and he has to do it without having an older rooster to model and correct him if he gets out of line, so that's your job, as you have been removing him if he doesn't behave, you are helping to shape some behaviors. He's still just a kid. I'm rooting for him and I got a feeling that your crazy hen will be in love with him eventually.

Back
Top Bottom