10 month old RIR not laying eggs yet???

Frickasee

Hatching
Feb 14, 2016
Hi everyone!
I'm new here but have been not so secretly enjoying the website for several months. Just joined today.
I have a question....our 10 month old RIR hasn't laid her first egg yet, though her sister has.
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks in advance and thanks for a great website!
Frickasee

Some chickens just take longer to start than others. You can tell if she's about to lay an egg soon if you feel the with of her pelvic bones. If its 2 or more fingers wide, she's getting close. If it's 1, then not ready yet.

And welcome!!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) CochinLover1 has answered your question nicely so I'll just say, "If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers."

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
- glad to have you onboard and may you lurk no more! As stated above, some girls just take longer than others to start laying and i guess your situation may be exacerbated by wintertime. Does she squat in front of you yet? If so, at least she's thinking about laying.

All the best
CT

My cream legbar is 11 months old and just laid her first egg, I assume that each breed has a different rate of maturity, and maybe climate has something to do with it.

welcome-byc.gif

As the other greeters have said, some just take longer than others. Each chicken is an individual and even being the same breed, they won't "perform" exactly the same. If her comb is bright red and she's squatting, you'll know she's getting close. The days are getting longer bit by bit and that should help too.

Thanks for joining us!

Back
Top Bottom