10 week old EEs. Help me double-check my cockerel count...

SweetMotherOfMars

Songster
13 Years
Aug 24, 2009
The Palouse
...I'd hate to send a hen to Camp Kenmore.
This was our first foray. We built a styrofoam chickbator & bought 6 fertile eggs from the Farmers Market. Two were blue & 4 were olive, the moms were all EE, the dads were "whoever got there first."
For our first time hatching, luck was with us. Five of the 6 hatched. Now, 10 weeks in, I think we ran out of luck... only one definite pullet.
barnie.gif

We have two definite cockerels and two that... well, you tell me.

Here is Cookie, our pullet:
39865_small-cookiecloseneck.jpg

Here are the other four (the two in question are on the left):
39865_allroosmaybe_byc.jpg

The necks of the two in question (Fern, left; Bryn, right): And their backs (L-R Bryn, Fern, Cookie):
39865_fernbrynnecknneck_byc.jpg
39865_small-crop-cookiefernbren.jpg

Bryn's neck and full body:
39865_small-crop-brynniceback.jpg
39865_small-crop-brynsideneck1.jpg

Fern's neck and full body:
39865_fernnecknice_byc.jpg
39865_fernrightside_byc.jpg

Any help would be wonderful. I can post photos of these two next to the known cockerels if it would help, but was worried this would be too many as it was.
duc.gif

I was afraid of that.
Fern was one of those late-to-feather emu-looking guys. Bryn has been "singing" with the dominant cockerel.

Here are the other boys.

Apple:
39865_applebeak-on_byc.jpg
39865_applehalfblurry2_byc.jpg

Evyn:
39865_evynbest_byc.jpg
39865_evynbestsideview_byc.jpg

Apple is a flashy, compact guy. He came from a blue egg and might make someone a good roo, but we are keeping the quiet cushion-combed boy (Evyn, er Evan now, I guess) for as long as possible.
Can't have Cookie pining away all alone, can we?

Close! They are the angled candy jars that look just like fish bowls.
http://www.stormthecastle.com/terrarium/images/terrarium-for-kids/cookie-jar-terrarium.jpg

When they were still in the brooder we had to find a compact way to keep the water clean(er) and the food (more or less) in one place. Kids had some candy that came in small ones (tennis ball sized) and they worked wonderfully.

We have 4 sizes of these now. Not sure what I'll do when the water starts to freeze, but they are easy to clean and heavy enough they don't get knocked over. I have a sealed water bucket with a spigot set up to auto fill the big one, but right now we aren't using it. It was too heavy for where I wanted to place it.
roll.png

Wow! What a great idea! I might just have to get me some of those. My chickens are always scratching in the food dish or dumping it. And then the chipmunks come and steal it so I'm feeding everyone. LOL

Back
Top Bottom