10 Week Silkies

calientepocket

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 30, 2014
PNW- Gemini Starship
I have four silkies I got back in October. I was thinking one of them might be a boy, but now I'm not so sure and think I may have four pullets. Hard to get pictures, as they are all a bit skittish still, but here they are:

Veda

Scarlet

Edna

Jackie Blue

I think that it is too young to be certain. I can't see any obvious cockerel characteristics, but there are no definite pullet characteristics, either.

I don't see anything screaming rooster, but young Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex. I would repost their pics again in about a month. I hope for your sake I am right and they are all pullets. :eek:)

I knew silkies were difficult to sex, I just wasn't sure how long to wait. Does anyone know at what age they tend to be "full grown"? My 3 cats like to sit right outside of their enclosed area and I'm sure that is what is making them more skittish. It's strange, because the cats are just fine all the other chickens, they always hang out in the run with them.

Scarlet and Edna look like cockerels to me. Scarlet is a very red partridge, females of that color are usually a more demur brown. And Edna is also leaking red. Thats a pretty good indicator that they could very well be boys....

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I am fairly certain you are correct, as the other two (Jackie & Veda) looked like they were trying to make nests in one corner of the coop while the suspected males were just strutting around. We'll see, but I'm suspecting they may both have to go soon :(

Back
Top Bottom