10 weeks old, pullets?

bunky8384

Chirping
Aug 25, 2018
SW Michigan
Ok, I’m starting to question what I thought were all pullets... We have a cockerel Buff Orpington who is about the same age and his comb started coming in red right around 4 weeks. Now a few of what I believe are Golden Commets are starting to make me question their gender. They should be about 10 weeks. I noticed even my Buff Orpington, who I was sure was a Pullet, is starting to get much more red to her comb.

Jack (the Buff cockerel) is in picture three with his head up. I know he’s a he! LoL

0A8FF7D5-3A4A-4C3D-8ED9-3DDC034EA1CA.jpeg
5F59D77C-7C00-43A4-B88F-737C7C8EEE4F.jpeg
08C5CEC5-10E0-456A-926D-A9807F6B2781.jpeg
43AB5E6F-271B-4E7E-8FB2-CB244A0B5839.jpeg
09CF137A-E0C6-44E2-A30E-CC109330C321.jpeg
5DBF2E54-60DC-4EF4-83A4-9213D39D2F14.jpeg

Golden Comets, are sex links. They are supposed to be easily sexed as chicks. All depends where you got your chicks. Golden comet roosters are similar color as well. Possibility is that who ever supplied your chicks,
Had no IDEA how to tell the sex apart. :idunno
Gave you cockerels regardless. :idunno
You purchased straight run without knowing.:idunno
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

https://pethelpful.com/farm-pets/The-Golden-Comet-Chicken

Copy and paste

The History of the Golden Comet Chicken
The Golden Comet chicken is not your average, every day breed. They are a cross breed or what is also referred to as a sex link breed. This breed is created by a mating between a White Rock hen and a New Hampshire rooster. The resulting chicken is what has been named the Golden Comet.

This type of cross breeding results in female and male chicks that are easy to tell apart because of color at the time of hatching. They are good for the backyard chicken keeper who isn't allowed to have a rooster. The color of the chicks ensure only hens will be chosen for that flock. This alone makes the Golden Comet chicken a "safe" breed to purchase because it is almost certain that no one will crow who isn't supposed to.

Golden Comet chickens are a smaller breed which makes them good for egg production only. The hens are rarely larger than four pounds and the roosters rarely reach a size greater than six pounds. Because of their smaller size, they are not considered a good option as meat birds.

The one real disadvantage to this breed is breeding itself. A Golden Comet will not produce another Golden Comet if her eggs are hatched that have been fertilized by a Golden Comet rooster. The resulting chick will be a second generation of mixed breed chicken. These hens rarely go broody so hatching eggs from this breed will certainly have to be accomplished through an incubator.

Copy and paste.

comet question.PNG

I'm only going by what I read. I always thought that there was a difference in color before... :idunno

Thanks everyone! The BO with the big ol’ wattles is Jack, the BO pullet is Rose (my 13 year old watched Titanic recently Lmao!) Jack has already started to crow, though it still sounds more like a dying animal than anything else :lau We were 99% sure he was a cockerel before that, no lying to ourselves now! Was just worried because in the last few days all of the Golden’s combs are suddenly pinking up. :idunno I wasn’t sure if that was normal for the breed around this age or if I had way more cockerels in my hands

Back
Top Bottom