$100...What would you spend it on?

Pics
A few years ago when I reached the point of not being able to work anymore, we were really struggling (more than now, and things aren't great). I literally scrounged together enough loose change to treat myself to a drink and a muffin at a coffee house.

I packed up my laptop and a baggie of coins and walked the couple of blocks to save the gas money. On the way there I saw something fluttering in the wind and grabbed it just before it blew into traffic. It was a $20 bill.

The wind did some more fluttering and I found three more.

The bills were brand new and had been folded together, but they separated when someone dropped them. I continued on to the coffee house, bought my drink and muffin with my coins (it's always embarrassing when I pay all in coins), and two hours later, on my way to the police station to turn in the cash, I stopped at that same corner, looked up at a tree and then down on the ground and found one more.

Altogether I found $100. The gals at the police station logged in the cash and told me to come back in three months if it went unclaimed. It did, so I took that cash and had a local homeless male cat neutered and vaccinated, and with the leftover money I went back to the coffee house and ordered a latte and two muffins (big spender).

And boy did I feel terrible for the person who had lost that cash. Just a few blocks from where I found it were two ATMs, and there was a festival downtown that weekend. It must have been painful losing all that cash.

I've since been so wasteful with money. We struggle and yet there I am at Starbucks every day, with debts that could cause us to lose our home.

Usually I come across discussions that ask what you would do if you won the lottery. But for a lot of people, $100 is a fortune, and if I crack down and do some growing up at the tender age of rapidly approaching fifty, maybe I can actually accomplish something meaningful in my life for once.

Just a late night ramble, surrounded by snoring dogs, a sleeping rooster and an assortment of purring cats.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hmmm....usually the "best option" is to SAVE IT until there is a true need - by that time, you may have saved a little more to go with it:)
Right, but I did some math the other day and I have only spent 7% of my income this year on stuff I want. As of November or something like that. Not too bad, could have done better though. :/ What would you do if you had to spend it frivously? ;)

A few years ago when I reached the point of not being able to work anymore, we were really struggling (more than now, and things aren't great). I literally scrounged together enough loose change to treat myself to a drink and a muffin at a coffee house.

I packed up my laptop and a baggie of coins and walked the couple of blocks to save the gas money. On the way there I saw something fluttering in the wind and grabbed it just before it blew into traffic. It was a $20 bill.

The wind did some more fluttering and I found three more.

The bills were brand new and had been folded together, but they separated when someone dropped them. I continued on to the coffee house, bought my drink and muffin with my coins (it's always embarrassing when I pay all in coins), and two hours later, on my way to the police station to turn in the cash, I stopped at that same corner, looked up at a tree and then down on the ground and found one more.

Altogether I found $100. The gals at the police station logged in the cash and told me to come back in three months if it went unclaimed. It did, so I took that cash and had a local homeless male cat neutered and vaccinated, and with the leftover money I went back to the coffee house and ordered a latte and two muffins (big spender).

And boy did I feel terrible for the person who had lost that cash. Just a few blocks from where I found it were two ATMs, and there was a festival downtown that weekend. It must have been painful losing all that cash.

I've since been so wasteful with money. We struggle and yet there I am at Starbucks every day, with debts that could cause us to lose our home.

Usually I come across discussions that ask what you would do if you won the lottery. But for a lot of people, $100 is a fortune, and if I crack down and do some growing up at the tender age of rapidly approaching fifty, maybe I can actually accomplish something meaningful in my life for once.

Just a late night ramble, surrounded by snoring dogs, a sleeping rooster and an assortment of purring cats.

Cheers.

Wow! That's pretty amazing! Quick question:
Why would you just pay to have a cat neutered when you could donate it to somewhere where it could save people's lives? Or better yet, their souls?

Not that what you did was wrong or anything, I think it was great! :)

Wow! That's pretty amazing! Quick question:
Why would you just pay to have a cat neutered when you could donate it to somewhere where it could save people's lives? Or better yet, their souls?

Not that what you did was wrong or anything, I think it was great! :)

Excellent point. And, ultimately, that is the best use of our resources. Now, question back at you!

What is your true purpose in this life? At the end of the day, when you draw your last breath, how will you know if you have had a successful life? What is the meaning of success?

Back
Top Bottom