107!!! Help!

CluckettyCluckerson

In the Brooder
May 11, 2020
I just came home and my eggs were at 107 degrees. They all felt crazy hot. No movement.
I'm devastated.
This was day 15.
Should I have any hope?

Well...at day 15 there probably won't be any movement...with mine, I never felt anything moving until pip day. That's a pretty hot temperature, but it costs you nothing to hope. Get them down below 100, say 98 or 99 and keep your fingers crossed.
Also, please let us know how they turn out, and we can all benefit from the knowledge! Good luck!!!! :fl

Are you relying on an independent trusted thermometer or the one on the incubator? What kind of incubator are you using? When was the last time you checked the temp? A day at that temp would probably not end well for the eggs but why would your incubator push the temp that high? The eggs held at proper temperature of 95-101degs can feel quite hot if you are not used to it.

107 obviously is WAY too high but it is going to depend on the answers to the questions above as to conclusions.

When you say 'no movement', you candled the eggs?

Well...at day 15 there probably won't be any movement...with mine, I never felt anything moving until pip day. That's a pretty hot temperature, but it costs you nothing to hope. Get them down below 100, say 98 or 99 and keep your fingers crossed.
Also, please let us know how they turn out, and we can all benefit from the knowledge! Good luck!!!! :fl

Are you relying on an independent trusted thermometer or the one on the incubator? What kind of incubator are you using? When was the last time you checked the temp? A day at that temp would probably not end well for the eggs but why would your incubator push the temp that high? The eggs held at proper temperature of 95-101degs can feel quite hot if you are not used to it.

107 obviously is WAY too high but it is going to depend on the answers to the questions above as to conclusions.

When you say 'no movement', you candled the eggs?
I have been candling with an led light often. I’ve seen movement the last couple days! Very cool.
I need a proper incubator. The one I am using is rigged to work but temp checks need to be done every few hours.
I checked them at 4:30 and my daughter said she did as well at 7 pm.
I arrive home at 10:30 and the were up to 107!
36 eggs were started. 6 were not fertilized and 3 seemed to quite growing after day 7-8?
I am using the led read out and a meat thermometer 🌡.
I can’t believe how attached I am to these eggs!
Thank you for you insight!!

Just a little anecdote for hope—

A couple of years ago I decided to hatch shipped eggs in an old little giant incubator of mine. Still air, styrofoam, ancient.

Temp was set at 101.5. 3rd party thermometer as well. Temp fluctuated frequently. One day I came home and the temp read 109!

Got 2 chicks out of 8 (?) eggs. Was impressed to be honest. Did the temp actually get that high? Not sure, but the same could be said for yours.

Don’t give up hope yet, monitor the incubator closely for changes. It’s normal, of course, for the incubator to fluctuate slightly, so don’t go rushing to change temp over 1 or 2 degrees in an hour or 2. 107 is a different story! But like I said, maybe there is hope 😁

This is for duck eggs, but the same advise would apply.
https://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/08/what-temperatures-kill-in-incubator.html
What To Do When You Discover Your Hot Incubator
Immediately cool the eggs with water. If you have lots of eggs, spray with a garden sprayer or hose. If you have just a few eggs, dunk each egg in cool, not cold, water. Blow air over the eggs to more quickly cool them. Each time the egg dries, wet it again. Remember that as you cool the eggs, the shell will cool faster than the interior - but it is the embryo in the interior that must be cooled. Therefore, you want to cool the shell lower than the ideal temperature. And as I described above, don't be afraid of cooling them too much as temperatures below ideal will not be a problem.

If you have an infrared thermometer, I would cool the shell to 80-85 degrees. If you do not have a thermometer, hold it against your eye lid. Once it feels slightly cool, put it back in the incubator and turn it on (assuming you have fixed the problem in your incubator!).

Never give up! At this point may as well see it through for another week or so. Apart from candling, use your nose to sniff out bad eggs - if something doesn't smell right, investigate until you find the cause.

This is for duck eggs, but the same advise would apply.
https://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/08/what-temperatures-kill-in-incubator.html
What To Do When You Discover Your Hot Incubator
Immediately cool the eggs with water. If you have lots of eggs, spray with a garden sprayer or hose. If you have just a few eggs, dunk each egg in cool, not cold, water. Blow air over the eggs to more quickly cool them. Each time the egg dries, wet it again. Remember that as you cool the eggs, the shell will cool faster than the interior - but it is the embryo in the interior that must be cooled. Therefore, you want to cool the shell lower than the ideal temperature. And as I described above, don't be afraid of cooling them too much as temperatures below ideal will not be a problem.

If you have an infrared thermometer, I would cool the shell to 80-85 degrees. If you do not have a thermometer, hold it against your eye lid. Once it feels slightly cool, put it back in the incubator and turn it on (assuming you have fixed the problem in your incubator!).
I will borrow my mates thermometer. I saw it in the shop.
thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom