11 Month Pullet Winter Molt

ShotgunDog

Chirping
Mar 27, 2023
Middle GA, USA
I have 10 Rhode Island Reds, soon to be 1 year old. Two weeks ago, one of my girls began molting on the back of her neck. I didn't notice the feather loss, but there are definitely pin feathers there now. Now the molt has moved around to the front of her neck too (pin feathers there as well). She isn't acting in distress-- she is still social and sweet, eating, etc. None of my other girls are showing any signs of molting. I live in middle Georgia, USA (southeastern part of the country for those of you not familiar with the States). We have mild winters here, but the weather has been crazy lately. We went from super cold weather (14 deg. F) and then in less than one week to super warm (74 deg. F). Could this crazy swing in temperatures have caused one of my girls to start an early molt? Is anybody else experiencing odd molts with the swing in temperatures?

I don't think it is the temperature swings. Several things contribute to onset of molt. Decreasing day length is foremost but all sorts of stressors and events can cause it. When I raised Jaerhons, they wouldn't molt till January. and that is pretty cold timing in Missouri. Being a Norwegian breed, I figured that was the chicken's way of saying, "You call this cold?"

Last edited:
Hmmm the only ranfom moult I had was when a neighbor dog would sneak behind the coop at night and freak my girls out. It was an isa brown and was 2.5 years old.

Interesting. I don't think there were any events that might have frightened her, and there my girls don't really fight much--the pecking order isn't even obvious (to my inexperienced eye, anyway). At least with the mild winter temperatures I really don't have to worry about her getting too cold. And, thankfully, I have seen zero evidence of the other girls pecking at her new pin feathers. I guess I'll just keep an eye on her. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom