11 week ood hen sick

Stephh0701

Songster
Apr 7, 2019
Florida
I have an 11 week old EE. She has air in her crop and has gotten very skinny the last 3 days. She's been wiggling her neck in a funny way and only eating eggs and yogurt. No gapeworm when I check with a qtip. She's breathing with her mouth open maybe 50% of the time. She'll peck around on the ground but won't eat her feed. She has normal looking excrement with no visible worms. I'm not feeling any obstruction in her crop but it's very squishy. It doesn't smell sour though. No bubbles or discharge around her mouth nose or eyes. I've been giving her yogurt since she'll eat it and trying to get her to eat some eggs, which she'll pick at but won't eat that much. The plain yogurt she devours though. She rests a lot and will jump up into our laps to sleep if we sit down by her. I've just got her to eat about a tablespoon of feed that I turned into a mash with some water but that's the only feed we've seen her eat in the last few days. Any ideas? Is thus sour crop even if it doesn't smell that way? She doesn't want to be around the other hens but will follow us around and wants to be held. Anything else I should check for or do for her?

Attachments

• 20221105_094237.jpg
    20221105_094237.jpg
    811.5 KB · Views: 7
Here's a video of her head bobbing. It seems to mostly be after she's eaten and the mouth breathing also seems to be after she's eaten.

Do you provide granite poultry grit for her? What are younfeeding? It looks like she is adjusting her crop or has something stuck in it. You might try giving her some chilled coconut oil clut into tiny pieces, and fed about a tsp twice a day. You can massage her crop several times a day. Does she seem okay after vomiting? Offer some fluids to her.

So I picked her up after she threw up and she threw up more so I gently squeezed while she did and a huge amount of yogurt and a clump of Spanish moss and some oak leaves came out with all of it. I'm thinking the Spanish moss was obstructing her crop but I couldn't feel it because it's kind of squishy. I'm hoping it all came out.

She's currently eating wet chick crumble like she's ravenous, and won't drink water yet. We feed chick crumble with chick grit but I'm thinking I might have to move up the grit size since this happened. They're also partially free ranged.

She took about a tsp of coconut oil and I gave her some molasses water mixed with her chick starter that she's nibbled on. I guess we'll see how she goes tonight and if her crop is empty in the morning because she's filled it again but at least this time I know what's in there

I would not squeeze her crop anymore, since making them vomit can be dangerous and cause choking to death. But you massage massage the crop if it is impacted and hard or doughy. Hopefully her getting the moss out of her throat will have helped her.

Back
Top Bottom