12 day old chicks respiratory issues after playing in dirt?

Cinnaminute

Songster
Aug 19, 2022
Georgia, USA
I'm trying to figure out if the dirt caused this or the straw or something else as well as the best methods for treatment. I hope everything makes sense. This started right before my bedtime and I would've been asleep over an hour ago but I've been doing everything I can and wanted to post this. I delay in replying, it's because I fell asleep but I'm sure I'll be waking up often to check on everyone so I'll check in here too.

The birds affected: Two 2 week old Crevecoeurs, Alice and Yzma. I bought six Crevecoeurs and one Rhode Island Red from a local feed store back on February 10th.

The birds not affected: The other four Crevecoeurs and the Rhode Island Red aren't showing any symptoms as of yet.

Other birds: I have my first flock of chickens outside: six Easter Eggers that are about 9mo and a Polish that is almost a year old. All of them are fine and healthy. Neither flocks have come in contact. I wear different clothes around both as well and wash hands in between.

The problem: It all started earlier today. I noticed Alice was moving the area under her beak despite not making any noise. It almost looked like she was swallowing. A few hours ago, I was tending to them and decided to give them what I call "porridge" (their Purina Flock Raiser moistened into a soft lukewarm mush). Yzma took a bite but then leaned her head back like she was having trouble swallowing. She did this a couple times but recovered and ate like normal. The mush is as thick as I always make it and no one has ever done that. Then Alice began to do the same. After eating Alice sneezed twice and then she started a cough. I had been sitting with them for over an hour so this definitely started after she ate. It's been a couple hours and the cough has persisted. I caught Yzma sneezing once but nothing regular.

Past problems: Alice has shown signs of being sensitive. She and another that I don't remember kept having pasty butt the first few days I had them. Alice also wasn't eating much and would stand there struggling to poop but had nothing come out (during clean butt times). I ended up feeding her scrambled eggs and she finally ate ferociously. That set her system straight. She also has pooped normal ever since and happily eats both her dry and wet Purina Flock Raiser.

Suspicions: Since I introduced my EE girls to dirt around 12 days old I decided to follow the same routine with my new chicks albeit slightly younger. A couple days ago I added a patch of dirt to a play area of the brooder (pictures below). No one was interested since the play area was new. However, today that changed. They got brave. Needless to say they demolished that clump of dirt and also ate some. It could be a coincidence but hours after that is when the symptoms began. I did get the dirt from an area of the yard my older flock doesn't go but it's the same area I got their first dirt from when they were babies just 9ish months ago. However these Crevecoeurs have been on straw bedding for a few days so that could also be the cause or at least part of it.

Their brooder: Brooder is kept in the living room by day and bathroom by night. I extend their play area in the living room. I did this with my first flock as well. Inside temperature is around 65-75. They have the K&H brooder plate 24/7. I use a space heater in the bathroom at night to keep the ambient air around 70 because we've been having cold nights and aren't using the heat in the house. The chicks don't seem to be cold. They run, fly, perch, etc. They'll go under the brooder plate to get warm. Bedding was potty pads unscented that I changed 3x a day. However after that reached about a week old they started getting poop balls on their toes. I'm out of pine shavings so I decided to put them on straw until I get some so they're not getting poop covered. The straw I shake off excess dust and pack it flat. No one digs in it so it doesn't seem like any dust would get kicked up, but I know they sleep laying down so they can still be affected I imagine. I clean out the straw bedding once a day and it doesn't smell bad in the brooder. I also clean their waterer daily and their food dish every few days. I also began offering grit the same day I introduced the straw bedding. I've seen them peck at it at times but I haven't witnessed anyone consuming it. I'm sure they have had a bit, being chickens and all. But I have also seen them eat a little piece of grit once a day or so. They're not too interested but they've had some and I'm sure most of them would have more if needed.

Symptoms: A recurring cough that began after an episode where she ate, had trouble swallowing at first, and then sneezed a couple times. The cough has been going on for approximately 3-4 hours now. She doesn't cough as much when asleep but it seems to sometimes wake her up. No other symptoms right now. No runny nose. Eyes are clear. Energetic. Curious and aware. Same appetite. There might be a slight congestion when breathing. Seems she may be breathing slightly more heavy than normal since this morning (or swallowing often - can't tell which).

Treatments: I removed the straw ASAP so they've only been on it for about 3 days. I also put VetRX on the water as well as dabbed some on the potty pad and around the brooder box.

Pictures of the brooder:
The box area with straw is how I had their main box done until I panicked and removed it. You can see the dirt play area too. They really spread it around. It is pretty dry and dusty.
IMG_20230220_232659717~2.jpg

Video (this morning before or at start of symptoms)
: Alice is the one perched on the brooder at the start of the video. She has an adorable little white beard. Towards the end of the video you can see her to the left of the RIR and you can see how under her beak is moving oddly. Other than that, everyone is fine. No coughing, sneezing, or anything. Alice is very curious about the camera so she even jumps down and trills at it a bit.

Video (tonight when symptoms began): And this is shortly after her cough started. I've checked in with them already a few times while writing this. Sometimes she might cough twice in a minute like in the video, sometimes she might not cough for a good 5 minutes or so. But it's far too often for my comfort.

Last edited:
It's possible that there might be issues with dust from the straw, feed dust, or dust from the dirt, but I dont see any problems to be concerned about honestly, certainly not any respiratory disease symptoms. It's normal for chicks to sneeze or cough once in awhile.
You can completely remove the straw and dirt if you wish, but I dont see that it's necessary.

The videos show alert healthy chicks. Not seeing anything of what you describe. Gaping mouths usually means overheated but I see you have a brooder plate with plenty of area. Not seeing any problem at all.

Thank you both. I checked on her just now. She still has the cough. In the video, she does the cough around 1:10. She is doing exactly that at least once a minute or so still. A good 5+ times in the span of me sitting with her for 10 minutes. If not respiratory, think something might be stuck in her throat? This is definitely not normal.

Edit: Just wanted to say I removed the straw and dirt from their play areas for now. It's been a bit over 12 hours since this started. Still no other symptoms besides the regular cough. Hopefully she'll work out whatever got into her system.

Last edited:
So I've come to a different conclusion about what could be going on. Alice's symptoms started during eating her mush. Considering her and Yzma both had to stop and lean their heads back mid-meal, I'm thinking they were eating too fast. I attempted to feed some mush and it happened again. Yzma even sneezed and coughed a few times after. Alice's cough got a bit worse for a bit.

Perhaps Alice got water or even food in her lungs? What can I do for her if this is the case? It's been over 24 hours and she's still coughing regularly.

Raise the feeder some so they dont have to lean their heads back. Also consider dry starter feed that's not watered down (mush.)
If there's water or food in the lungs, nothing can be done about it. Hopefully it'll work itself out somehow, if that's the case.

Okay, thank you very much. I gave the mush as a treat since it actually helped get Alice eating (the first day I had her she refused to touch the feed unlike the other girls and was struggling to pass stool but had nothing to pass). But she is eating dry feed pretty well now so it's become more of a treat every other day. But I'll be putting a stop to the mush. It's been a rough week and a half with Alice, the poor girl. Thanks again.

I wanted to update this for anyone who ends up reading in the future:

Alice still has a chronic cough. She'll be 4 weeks old soon. She's showing no other symptoms; no runny nose, no cloudy eyes, etc. I don't know if she managed to get something stuck in her sinuses that she can't get out or what. I figure I won't worry too much since she's healthy and active - and no one else is showing any symptoms during the past 15 days of being around her.

I have, however, made another observation about her...

She seems to have scissor beak (very mild). Back when I first posted this, I thought she might've been breathing with her mouth cracked open but couldn't confirm. I saw a gap between the top and bottom beak but they still met in a way that seemed normal.

About a week ago I saw it wasn't lining up perfectly - the tip had a slight overlap horizontally - bottom pokes out sideways a tad to the right. It's definitely getting more evident now so here's some pictures. I also noticed that her beak is far shorter than the other girls.

Alice - not very evident from a side view but there is that small gap and overall her beak is very short and nostrils very small.
Alice Cross Beak.PNG
From the top it's more evident:
IMG_20230308_135502240.jpg
IMG_20230308_135417718.jpg
IMG_20230306_133548552(1).jpg

Meanwhile here's a comparison to a couple other of my Crevecoeurs who all have longer beaks that's not scissored and also... larger nostrils it seems.

Helga, who weighs only 6ish grams more so she's close in size to Alice:
IMG_20230308_135336737.jpg
Yzma
IMG_20230308_134643745.jpg

Other than this, she's doing great. She's active, friendly, somehow the sweetest most affectionate one (she always flies up onto the arm of the couch to visit me), and eats and drinks plenty. Her weight is within normal range too. She and Gaz were the smallest as babies and still are.

Yzma 291grams - (she is really that much bigger than the others - she's huge)
Leslie 265grams
Helga 256grams
Mim 251grams
Alice 250grams
Gaz 241grams (my RIR of the same age is also 241grams)

Note: My scale typically reads 13.5oz when something weighs 12oz so I'm sure they all weigh a tad less than the numbers I got.

I've been giving garlic water from time to time just in case it could help with Alice's cough/sneeze. I can't really say whether it has helped or not. It does seem like she's not coughing quite as often the past week and it's not as loud either so who knows. But I felt it worth mentioning. I'm looking into getting some Rooster Booster to see if additional nutrients might help her. I've given her some NutriDrench (probably three times while I've had her). Considering her history, she may need extra nutrition and might not be absorbing it well from the feed.

So anyway, that was longer than intended but that's the update on Alice's situation.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom