12 week old OE

rarely bored

Songster
9 Years
Jan 22, 2011
Central California
This bird came out of a BHep egg, the egg was an olive color. At first I thought it was a pullet because it didn't exhibit any roo features, but now I'm not to sure. I'm seeing the pretty metallic green sheen in the wing area and it is acting a little roo-ish.
Here is the picture, the black one, not the silkie cross... that one is fairly obvious
roll.png
:

Sigh, it is a rooster isn't it??

it may only be 11 weeks... new year's day hatch.

Last edited:
Hmmm... I am no where near an expert on this.... I kind of lean towards pullet but before you get excited, listen to my non-scientific reasons...

Neck stretch looks roo'ish
Tail feathers look hen'ish
Possibly incoming saddle feathers could be roo'ish
Buttfluff (the fluffy feathers below tail) say hen'ish

and last but not least the famous phrase of in order to achieve you must believe...It is a hen...It is a hen..believe it...see it... lol

Here's your easy answer: Pick her up (I'm an optimist at heart) and about an inch from the top of the tail appendage, lift the feathers and look for saddle feathers. You'll see something coming in...if it's super shiny and pointy, it's not a girl.

Hmmm... I am no where near an expert on this.... I kind of lean towards pullet but before you get excited, listen to my non-scientific reasons...

Neck stretch looks roo'ish
Tail feathers look hen'ish
Possibly incoming saddle feathers could be roo'ish
Buttfluff (the fluffy feathers below tail) say hen'ish

and last but not least the famous phrase of in order to achieve you must believe...It is a hen...It is a hen..believe it...see it... lol
neck stretch, agree
tail feathers, yea, but how good of a picture is it?
saddle feathers, agree
buttfluff, yippee, hope the butt fluff is right!

I'd have an easier time believing it was a hen if it didn't do a sneak attack the other day and peck me in the calf... although I've met onery hens before.
Here's your easy answer: Pick her up (I'm an optimist at heart) and about an inch from the top of the tail appendage, lift the feathers and look for saddle feathers. You'll see something coming in...if it's super shiny and pointy, it's not a girl.

sounds great! Will check HER tomorrow morning.

Thank you, both of you!!

The hens are BCM x Black Ams. The rooster is a Black Molted Java. My hens are very black with the iridescent sheen also.
I don't see any hackle or saddle feathers....but it is hard to see in the picture.
Butt does look fluffy. She cold just be standing like that wondering why you are pointing a camera at her.
gig.gif

I will say hen for now...until she crows.
hide.gif

There are no super shiny feathers coming in by her butt... or anywhere in that region!!!
celebrate.gif

I'll be getting pretty colored eggs!!! Will I??
hide.gif

Thank you!! Now to go find out what a BCM is...

bcm = black copper marans

can you get any closer pics full body shot and comb? i'm leanign towards pullet

Thanks! I did some looking up the java's and the bcm's and I'm strongly thinking pullet. Her comb is still small with not much red. She just has a more dominant personality than most of my other hens... which isn't all bad, just a surprise.

Back
Top Bottom