12 weeks 3 days old SLW mix. Cockerel??

Cryss

Eggcentric
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Northwest New Jersey
I’ve posted my chicks at different ages. The last one was at 8 weeks and everyone believed all three of my SLW were pullets. 2 of them have rose combs. One has a straight comb so is obviously a mix. This one still concerns me. What do y’all think?
7524D605-FAEF-451B-9A96-4E06F5997C28.jpeg

74E08451-E20C-49C9-B309-A8818C6A3086.jpeg

Wyandottes or a mix, still retain there slow mature cycle since they are a heritage breed.

So when you see dark pink to red combs at 10 to 15 weeks, they will be males.

I’ve posted my chicks at different ages. The last one was at 8 weeks and everyone believed all three of my SLW were pullets. 2 of them have rose combs. One has a straight comb so is obviously a mix. This one still concerns me. What do y’all think?
View attachment 3633233

View attachment 3633234
Incorrect comb doesn't have to mean mix, IF all other traits fit.. Wyandottes commonly throw straight combs.. when the parent stock are not homozygous for R.. which may not be seen since rose is dominant to straight but may have to be test mated for.

Rose can be RR or Rr. Straight is rr. So when two Rr are bred together they will throw some rr.. as seen when you set up a Punnet square.

I am not a genetic expert and this is a basic explanation.

That comb is redder than I like to see but a cockerel would have been that color around 8 weeks old (in my experience), and my recent gals started to pink up around 12-ish weeks also. Gender specific saddle feathers should be starting to show by the stated age (first pic). example pics from google for reference and more flowing by about 16 weeks (2nd pic)..

1694442902527.png

1694442927107.png

I also think pullet.. but can easily see why you are uncertain.

Thank you! I am not very well versed in genetics so I didn’t know an SLW could have a straight comb. Yes this chickens comb and wattles color is exactly what concerns me about gender. I guess I’m also just not able to believe my good fortune. I had six unsexed day old chicks expecting half to end up cockerels. If this one that I’m worrying about is a pullet I’ve hit the jackpot, 6 pullets!😮🥳😉

Back
Top Bottom