12th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
I count 37 too but some of those black ones are blending together when they crawl underneath each other like that so give or take a couple. :lau
Y'all were very close! 43 there's a couple small ones :/ I guess they hide well lol I really Thought i was going to have a hatch full of speckled sussex. The marans is doing too much 😂 he's not even lead Rooster 🐓

Out of 25 eggs, we had 16 successful hatches. Sad for the loss ones but pleased for our first ever incubation to go well!
We did have 2 hatch with curled toes and we are kind of struggling with fixing it for them. Any advice appreciated!

A few pics attached bc they’re too cute not to share 🥰🐣
Cute!!

I use a band aid and cut the gauze out and then sandwich the toes between the two sticky side pieces. My little silkies get around pretty well in these band aid boots as they are pretty light. It's really important to get the toes staying as straight as possible in the boot, it takes me a little bit to get them stuck on the band aid just right even with the help of my husband. If I do this within the first 48 hours it usually doesn't take more than a day or two for the toes to stay straight. If they aren't straight within 2 days of putting on the boots I change them and go for another couple days before checking again.

If the legs are splayed and not staying together I cut a band aid in half lengthwise and use that as a brace.

One word of caution with the splay leg brace. If a chick gets knocked over it can be difficult for them to get up again so make sure the water has something like marbles in it so the chick can't submerge itself. I had a really close call last fall with a chick who got knocked into the water that had a brace on.
At times, if a chick keeps falling over with leg braces, I'll out them in a glass..put it a bit away from the heat lamp. I use a paper towel to adjust it in the glass to sitting straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom