12th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hit 7 days in at midnight so did my first round of candling. As predicted I couldn't tell anything with my pure Marans eggs. The ones I was worried about, the mixes, all 9 have strong veining. I'm shocked as back in January when I first tried out the incubator I attempted both times to hatch out Butter eggs and all 18 of the ones set did NOTHING. Of the 9 mixes all have a Black Copper Marans dad. 2 are my Buff Orp Butters, 3 are Henrietta's, a Easter egger x Wyandotte cross and 4 are Breads. Bread is Henrietta's daughter who daddy was also a Easter Egger x Wyandotte. Now to distract myself for the next week before its time to candle again I go on chick watch tomorrow for my broody hen. Technically Thursday should be hatch day, but she always hatches early. First thing tomorrow morning fixing up a dog kennel for her and the chicks and as soon as the first one hatches I'll move her, the chick and the remaining eggs into it. Her nest is hidden but it is really not super safe from predators once chicks start hatching and bring attention to it. And from past attempts there is no moving her from her chosen spot once she starts setting, but I can move her after they start hatching.

Hit 7 days in at midnight so did my first round of candling. As predicted I couldn't tell anything with my pure Marans eggs. The ones I was worried about, the mixes, all 9 have strong veining. I'm shocked as back in January when I first tried out the incubator I attempted both times to hatch out Butter eggs and all 18 of the ones set did NOTHING. Of the 9 mixes all have a Black Copper Marans dad. 2 are my Buff Orp Butters, 3 are Henrietta's, a Easter egger x Wyandotte cross and 4 are Breads. Bread is Henrietta's daughter who daddy was also a Easter Egger x Wyandotte. Now to distract myself for the next week before its time to candle again I go on chick watch tomorrow for my broody hen. Technically Thursday should be hatch day, but she always hatches early. First thing tomorrow morning fixing up a dog kennel for her and the chicks and as soon as the first one hatches I'll move her, the chick and the remaining eggs into it. Her nest is hidden but it is really not super safe from predators once chicks start hatching and bring attention to it. And from past attempts there is no moving her from her chosen spot once she starts setting, but I can move her after they start hatching.
Just candled a few of my BCM eggs... it's day 8 and I see babiesssssssss... I set the egg large side down on the candler of the incubator and used a small LED flashlight on top.. Sure enough I saw babies moving in there. Still can't tell hide nor hair about the EE eggs.

Just candled a few of my BCM eggs... it's day 8 and I see babiesssssssss... I set the egg large side down on the candler of the incubator and used a small LED flashlight on top.. Sure enough I saw babies moving in there. Still can't tell hide nor hair about the EE eggs.
That is great. Unfortunately my incubator does not have a built in Candler and all I have to use is a small flashlight. It works better around day 14 then I can tell if they are developing or not.

So I think one of our buff orpington hens is broody. She’s one of my favourites so I really hope so! (She is also our rooster’s favourite and is bald from where is latches on to her to mate, so a break from mating would be really good for her poor head!)

I will wait a few dats before giving her some eggs. I can’t decide whether to give her some out of the incubator or to get her some maran eggs which is the other breed I wanted to hatch this year....

The incubator eggs are on day 11, would it be confusing for future hatches for her if she only has to sit for 10 days this time?

So I think one of our buff orpington hens is broody. She’s one of my favourites so I really hope so! (She is also our rooster’s favourite and is bald from where is latches on to her to mate, so a break from mating would be really good for her poor head!)

I will wait a few dats before giving her some eggs. I can’t decide whether to give her some out of the incubator or to get her some maran eggs which is the other breed I wanted to hatch this year....

The incubator eggs are on day 11, would it be confusing for future hatches for her if she only has to sit for 10 days this time?
I would not give her the incubator eggs if she is a first time broody. Sometimes if the eggs hatch in less than 3 weeks a first time broody will not be mentally ready for the chicks and she can get confused. I had this happen with a hen who basically squashed the chicks as if she were trying to put them back in the eggs. Right now I am in the same situation as you; eggs in the incubator on day 10 & my hen just went broody! I am planning to give the broody different eggs to hatch. That way I get even more chicks! Good luck with your hatch.

I would not give her the incubator eggs if she is a first time broody. Sometimes if the eggs hatch in less than 3 weeks a first time broody will not be mentally ready for the chicks and she can get confused. I had this happen with a hen who basically squashed the chicks as if she were trying to put them back in the eggs. Right now I am in the same situation as you; eggs in the incubator on day 10 & my hen just went broody! I am planning to give the broody different eggs to hatch. That way I get even more chicks! Good luck with your hatch.
Thanks for this advice! I was sort of hoping out of laziness, that I could stick all the chicks with her to let her brood them. 😆

i do have some Barnyard mix eggs in there that are going to be for meat that I’m not as “worried” about hatching, so I might give her a few of those, and then if she seems like a good mama, I could sneak the EE chicks in with her.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom