12th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lock down is when you stop turning. Some people wait for the first pip to up humidity (not me, but some people). When doing a staggered hatch (like Pekin eggs with Silver Pencil Rock eggs), I turned the quackers by hand for a few days while the chicks hatched. As for humidity, upping humidity for 1-2 days isn’t going to hurt the non-hatching eggs.

Serious question....

A dozen+ of my eggs are bantam. I did not realize when I put everything in the bators that bantam eggs can hatch earlier than standard eggs. So, they all went in at the same time.

Having learned this, I'm trying to decide my best course of action. Should I lock everything down early? One article I read said it was ok to do so. Or, put the bantams in lockdown in one incubator and try to squeeze all the standard eggs into the other for a few more days of turning?

Additionally, I have about 2 dozen Icelandic eggs, which I was told (by the lady I purchased them from) tend to hatch a day or two early. I could put those in with the bantams for the earlier lock down.

Right now everyone is mixed in both bators. Only my second time hatching, and first bantams. Don't want to screw up! 🥺

My tiny bantam eggs took just as long as my large breed eggs when I incubated them together. I was expecting them to hatch earlier because they are about a third of the size of the large eggs. They'll all be fine if you stop turning at this point.

I cross rooster who was hatched out of pink/white egg with hen who lays green eggs, so what color will lay their offsprings?

Attachments

• IMG_20210329_111050.jpg
    IMG_20210329_111050.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 5
It’s a hard decision to get a new incubator. I like each of mine for different reasons, but fully intended to buy a new one, and sell all of these. Now I’m like, “well, this one is doing fine, and I know all of the quirks of each one. Maybe I should keep them.”
I completely agree! I got this one second hand for 40$ with the egg turner, so it wasn't a bad deal, then I installed a fan kit to make it forced air, all in I have 67$ invested in this thing. This is my first hatch in it & I had no faith in it because i had problems with the temperature. It was about to get the boot lol. I do love the ease of my nurture right. But I think I'll keep this one after all, thanks to y'alls help, I'm really excited to see what hatch rates are in it.

So we have 3 early pips from a couple runner duck eggs and some other eggs have started rocking and rolling.

tomorrow is day 25/18, but I’ve gone ahead and taken out the turners and bumped up humidity.

im a little worried that they are already starting to hatch this early! 😬 It’s my first hatch using this incubator, but temp has held steady at 37.5C, so maybe they are just eager beavers!! 🤷‍♀️

Attachments

• 26404FD1-5B80-4CE7-8029-60DC11CD8CB1.jpeg
    26404FD1-5B80-4CE7-8029-60DC11CD8CB1.jpeg
    216.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 71FDB85D-2635-4FE3-971C-2284C9CB49A2.jpeg
    71FDB85D-2635-4FE3-971C-2284C9CB49A2.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 4
Well, I was really rooting for the patchy egg, the one with part of the color wiped off from cleaning it, after it started developing, but it appears to have become a blood ring. 😔 The other two with embryos are still going strong, but the more I look at the rest of the eggs, the more I'm convinced those two are the only two developing now. Not seeing anything in the other eggs still; no clear veining, no embryos, nothing. Oh, well. Here's hoping for two healthy babies in another week and a half! :fl

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
I started a day early and didn't get on any of the lists. But thought I would post an update. I set the day before yall started, with 30 of my own eggs and 18 that I bought. The 18 turned out to be light bulbs, she is going to refund my money. She set 4 dozen and only had 3 fertile eggs. Out of my 30, 7 were not fertile, and now I have 1 quitter. Continuing on with 22 eggs, healthy looking very active babies inside after candling. We go into lockdown tomorrow at 4:30pm with a variety of 22 eggs from my flock. I'm getting excited yall!! (Hubby bought me 6 EE chicks to replace the 18 blank EE eggs, I truly love this man!! Not to mention we saved their lives from those despicable new brooder boxes at TSC. These little ones all needed immediate attention, which they promptly got in the parking lot. Happy to say they are all doing great!!) Best of luck everyone, happy hatching!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom