13 new hens, 4 days and only 2 eggs

PineShavings

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 2, 2013
Tex
I bought 13 new hens about a year old (10 red sex links/3 australorp-red sex mix) and it's been four days and have only gotten a total of two eggs. Anyone know what could be happening? I make sure they're fed properly and I lock them in the coop each night so they should know where the nesting boxes are.

Are you positive they are one year old birds and not older?

The stress of a move will disrupt their laying for a while and they could be starting to molt. If they are out during the day when they lay, their eggs could be anywhere. I would keep them locked up for the first week while they settle in. Give them a week and you will have a better idea of what is going on.

Last edited:
It may just take them some time to adjust to being moved to a new location. I have purchased several adult hens and they took a little while to begin to lay. I think due in part to stress from being in a new place, working out pecking order, etc. After 1-2 weeks the adult hens began to lay and have been quite consistent since settling in.

This is of course just my personal observation. I hope that helps.

Yeah, thanks for the replies. Four days might not be enough time, will give it another week then see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom