13 Week Old Chick With Impacted Crop.

MysteryChicken

Preserving Gamefowl, 1 Variety At a Time🇮🇳🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
May 31, 2018
Tawas City, Michigan
Hello, I would like some tips for the best ways to treat impacted crop?
I've tried the Olive Oil, with massage with some success. The crop did go down alittle, but is still quite large, & is as hard as golf ball.
I tried the water trick, with massage which was a fail.
Going to try coconut oil tomorrow.
If anybody has better ideas, let me know? We can't get to the vet.

I used mineral oil 2x daily with a light message on my hen until she passed it through and started eating. Have you separated her from the others? It took my girl three days before she was better. Good luck.

I used mineral oil 2x daily with a light message on my hen until she passed it through and started eating. Have you separated her from the others? It took my girl three days before she was better. Good luck.
No, she's not separated from the other's. We don't have mineral oil, but thanks for the idea.

Keep with the olive oil. I used a dropper full of mineral oil right into her beak so she couldn't spit it out. If the others aren't bothering her she's probably fine. I put mine in a box in the kitchen and she did not want to go back to the coop after she was well.

Good news, the coconut oil works best, I got the crop size down even more. I should be able to get the rest of the compacted food down the crop tube tomorrow.
If this happens again, should I make a crop bra for her? Her crop sags quite a bit, & maybe causing the problem.

Is she eating any long strand material? I would not feed any scraps, hay, grasses, etc. I only give my girls chicken feed, Spring salad Mix (winter/ nothing green to eat) , scratch feed (winter only) and dried mealworms. I have not had any issue with crop impaction. Maybe I'm just lucky? I confess, I'm an over protective chicken mama.

Is she eating any long strand material? I would not feed any scraps, hay, grasses, etc. I only give my girls chicken feed, Spring salad Mix (winter/ nothing green to eat) , scratch feed (winter only) and dried mealworms. I have not had any issue with crop impaction. Maybe I'm just lucky? I confess, I'm an over protective chicken mama.
She hasn't had any long, grass, or anything like that. Her crop was just failing to empty on it's own.
She eats regular chicken food such as grains, & chick starter grower feed for growth, & protien.

Back
Top Bottom