14+ week Ameraucana - cockerel or pullet?

SlyOwlRanch

Chirping
May 30, 2019
Garden Valley, ID
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but I'm hoping for some confirmation (and hoping i'm wrong). We ordered a mixed breed batch of chicks this spring, all were supposed to be pullets. I know sex is not 100% guaranteed, but we ended up with a Rhode Island Red cockerel and I was hoping he was the only one. We cant have roosters here. The Rh. Isl. Red is now gone and I thought that was the end the rooster challenge. But, I have noticed one of my Ameraucana's is growing quite a bit faster than all the others, and the tail feathers are getting significantly longer and fancier... I have not heard any crowing yet... I hope I'm wrong. Any of you more experienced folks have input - is this beautiful white bird a cockerel or pullet?

Thank you!

Attachments

• Chicken.jpg
    Chicken.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20210903_194940492.jpg
    IMG_20210903_194940492.jpg
    638.7 KB · Views: 83
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but I'm hoping for some confirmation (and hoping i'm wrong). We ordered a mixed breed batch of chicks this spring, all were supposed to be pullets. I know sex is not 100% guaranteed, but we ended up with a Rhode Island Red cockerel and I was hoping he was the only one. We cant have roosters here. The Rh. Isl. Red is now gone and I thought that was the end the rooster challenge. But, I have noticed one of my Ameraucana's is growing quite a bit faster than all the others, and the tail feathers are getting significantly longer and fancier... I have not heard any crowing yet... I hope I'm wrong. Any of you more experienced folks have input - is this beautiful white bird a cockerel or pullet?

Thank you!
Sorry he’s a cockerel.☹️ He is very pretty though!😊

Back
Top Bottom