14-Week Old Pullets Won't Roost at Night

SusanPC

Songster
5 Years
Feb 28, 2014
Southwest Florida
I've searched and read through many older posts, but wanted to get a new consensus on roosting vs. non-roosting chickens. My four are 14-weeks old and roost in their run (and on my patio chairs!), but have developed a habit of sleeping on the floor of their raised coop ever since they were first introduced to their coop and run at about 6 weeks old. Even in their brooder, they would sleep in a pile in the corner and only used the roosts provided during the day.

I'd like to know if most chickens eventually roost on their own AND does it even matter? I think they would be cooler at night and it would be more sanitary if they were lined up on roosts. My coop is small and squat and the roosts are only about 7 inches above the floor (most I can allow for headroom). The funny part is that I doubled my initial coop size to accommodate them and now they all four cram into less than one-fourth of the overall area of the coop in a corner nearest the pop door. They won't even walk around and investigate other areas of the coop - day or night and the nest boxes are at the other end of the coop.

So here is a summary of questions I'd like answered and commented on:

1. What are the reasons that chickens should roost (convenience, comfort, health, etc.)?

2. Is it important to teach chickens to roost at night by placing them on the roosts or providing a light into the earlier evening hours for them to investigate other options in the coop (since they didn't learn it from other chickens as these are my first brood) ?

Thanks for reading and any replies!
bow.gif

I have a similar issue and would also be interested in knowing more. I hope you get some responses.

jonalisa

It's desirable for chickens to roost on a perch in order to get them above the volumes of poop produced over night. There is less chance of them picking up a parasite problem if they're on a perch. If there happen to be rodents, they're less likely to get nibbled and chewed on.

You can teach them to roost by placing them on the perch at dark, keeping putting them back up until they stay. You may need to do this for several nights, but most chickens quickly convert since it's far more natural and secure feeling. Make sure you place them very close together on the perch, and they will adapt faster.

No need for a light at night, in fact, it only encourages bad night time habits.

Is there plenty of ventilation? Perhaps that's one reason they crowd near the pop hole.

Back
Top Bottom