15 week comet closing eyes and lathargic

gretchen

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 18, 2007
I have 7 15 week old chicks, one of them is a Golden Comet, this morning she seemed a little quiet and kept herself separate from the rest of the chicks. She started off keeping one eye closed, which she would open if I picked her up. Now both eyes are closed and she is just roosting or laying in the hay. The only other symptom is that her feathers are all puffed up, especially around her neck and head. She has no other symptoms, no wheezing, coughing or discharge. Al the other chicks seem fine. I did just finish a round of meds for cocco... however you spell it, because it's been damp and I had spotted some runny poop. Any ideas?

Feathers puffed up, eyes closed and lethergy are usually symptoms of illness but unfortunately, it isnt possible from just those symptoms to diagnose the problem. Vitamins might give her a boost, but otherwise it is a wait and see situation. If she develops more symptoms then you may be able to diagnose her by using the information at this site:
http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/dissymp.htm

I dont recommend medicating unless you know what disease she has and what medication it would respond to.

Usually if a hen is having a problem laying, they repeat laying activity.... squatting in the nest, straining, going in and out of the nest box, walking with their tail pointed downward, etc.

chel

She could be trying to lay, that was my first thought, but then some others on the forum thought it was too early. I would be happy if it was that easy. Thanks

Definitely some form of distress. My thought would be to see if she has gotten overheated. Is she getting enough water? The coccdia treatments do a number on birds - think like eating laxative for a week straight. Try giving her some plain yogurt (as well as some for everyone else) and some electrolytes in the water (feed store should have some). You might try a vitamin. I just got Avia Charge 2000 and my birds just go nuts over the water now. Good luck!!!

I closed up the coop last night, it's been chilly in the evening, and put electrolytes in the water... she seems to be much better today, following her lady (i hope) friends around. I gave them all yogurt this morning, they were all pretty happy with that treat. So all seems to better, thank you for the help.

Back
Top Bottom