11 Barnevelders
16 silkies
5 showgirls
3 sussex (possible frizzle mixes)
20240401_113812.jpg
20240401_113451.jpg
20240401_114040.jpg
20240401_114134.jpg

5 have/have had issues. One showgirl with a slipped tendon, one silkie appears to only have one eye, one silkie with curled toes, one barnie which I'm not 100% sure the problem, and one sussex required some assistance hatching.

Here are some pictures. They are a week old now. Unfortunately one of them seems a little lethargic. It seems it got a little too cold, so it’s warming back up.

IMG_1186.jpeg
IMG_1191.jpeg
IMG_1202.jpeg
IMG_1193.jpeg

I got a decent amount of different colors this batch. We had to stop by at tractor supply to get some chick feed, and of course they had some chicks, and OF COURSE I had to get SOME MORE CHICKS. I only got 6, and unfortunately 2 of them were lethargic and died the same day. All the chicks there were looking a little sad. I think it’s due to the snow storm that we got right when they were coming in, so I’m wondering if they got a little to cold while at the end of their shipping. It’s a bummer. I don’t think I’ll be hatching this early again due to colder weather. Of course it was warmer at one point, but it snowed the day they hatched and the day after, and it’s supposed to snow a few more days this week.

Soooo...We have had all but 2 eggs hatch now, and one of those is pipped! The only one with no action is the Olive egg! I'll leave it in there for a few more days and see what happens! The Americauna egg that cracked hatched with no trouble!
If this last pipped egg hatches, 16 of the 17 eggs that went into lock down made it! I started with 20 total in the incubator and had 1 with a blood ring, and 2 that never developed at all. I am super happy with our results! Especially for my first hatch...With a $60 china-bator (that worked GREAT. Temp/humidity were even pretty close)... AND lock down in a homemade first run cooler-bator!!!
The chick with the orange streak was dragging it's shell around by a string of goo that had wrapped around its leg and dried so I had to take it out to get it off! I marked it while I had the chance since I knew which egg it came from!
Happy Easter everyone!

Attachments

• 20240331_202357.jpg
    20240331_202357.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 2
Here are some pictures. They are a week old now. Unfortunately one of them seems a little lethargic. It seems it got a little too cold, so it’s warming back up.

View attachment 3787994View attachment 3787995View attachment 3787996View attachment 3787997
I got a decent amount of different colors this batch. We had to stop by at tractor supply to get some chick feed, and of course they had some chicks, and OF COURSE I had to get SOME MORE CHICKS. I only got 6, and unfortunately 2 of them were lethargic and died the same day. All the chicks there were looking a little sad. I think it’s due to the snow storm that we got right when they were coming in, so I’m wondering if they got a little to cold while at the end of their shipping. It’s a bummer. I don’t think I’ll be hatching this early again due to colder weather. Of course it was warmer at one point, but it snowed the day they hatched and the day after, and it’s supposed to snow a few more days this week.
I'm in Okla and both TSC and Atwoods chicks looked really pitiful this year! They looked so rough, I wasn't even tempted! I learned my lesson last year bringing in new chicks! Hope yours make it!!!

I'm in Okla and both TSC and Atwoods chicks looked really pitiful this year! They looked so rough, I wasn't even tempted! I learned my lesson last year bringing in new chicks! Hope yours make it!!!
Every time I go to tsc here in Ada ok they don’t have any chicks. They had four buff Orpingtons one time and they didn’t look too great. But I’ve got 26 healthy little lavender Orpingtons. 👍🏻🐣

So far as of last night at 9:27PM, babies #3 and #4 had made it out of their shells!
IMG_4518.jpeg

With #5 making it out while I was sleeping and #6 having their external pip being done last night halfway down the egg. It’s the middle egg in the photo, you can tell above the calcium deposit that’s where the chick has externally pipped without and air cell.
I had made the decision to open 3 of the shells more so the chicks had more access to oxygen as their pips were the tiniest hole and the others kept moving them around. At this point in time, all but one baby has done an external pip and made it out within good time!

One of the eggs had passed, the one with no external pip. It had internally piped the other day and it might've been baby #1 or #2, as I did mark it to potentially be my second egg hatching, if it could have figured out life a little better. It’s pretty hard to figure something like life out though, when your beak is almost 90° already just in the shell and you only have one eye on top of that. RIP Baby #7 you definitely tried your best with this one 💕

Back
Top Bottom