18 week old Golden Comets...could they be ready to lay?

My golden comets are 18 weeks old and seem really big and full grown, but no eggs or any obvious signs of them. They poop like crazy in the nesting boxes
tongue.png
but never lay eggs. Are there any signs of when they will start laying?
jumpy.gif

I know this is an old thread, but I referred to it when I was waiting for my golden comet to lay so I thought I'd add my experience - She started right about 17.5 weeks and has laid an egg every single day since then for the last 16 days. The eggs have increased in size a little every couple of days!

Golden comets are a hybrid breed that is bred to lay well and to start laying early, but even they may not lay til 20 weeks or later. Your barnyard mixes most likely wouldn't lay this early. I think 24-26 weeks is more average, but it depends on what they are a mix of, and of course it comes down to the individual bird as well.

We just got four Golden Comets, and they do the same thing. Just got three eggs!

They are very friendly and will easily be social with anyone. Great bird!

Our first egg came from one of 5 golden comets and 1 day before 18wks! Such a surprise & up until today, they were our only layers. 21wks old now

I’ve got 2 GC and both are 19 1/2 wks we just started getting our first eggs from them 1 layed yesterday and 1 layed today...

Back
Top Bottom