19-week old BO pullet: lethargic, puffed-out chest, not eating

Katydid2011

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
West Coast USA
My 19-week old Buff Orpington pullet was full of sass and spunk until yesterday, when she seemed unnaturally quiet. I also noticed some dark runny poo in the coop. Today, when I let the girls out, I saw a bit more dark, runny poo. When I offered cracked corn, plain yogurt and hard-boiled eggs, she came and stood nearby, all puffed up with her tail tucked and didn't eat much of anything, which is extraordinarily unusual. She is drinking. The other two pullets - her sisters - seem normal. I hope someone with more experience than me can provide some guidance. Thank you, Katy

I'll give this one more try... Is it possible this has something to do with egg production? She's young but seems ready to lay. Do I immerse her in warm water? Something's wrong but I have no idea what it is. She's puffed up and sleeping while her sisters are happily scratching around under shrubs. Anyone?

by "puffed up" do you mean her feathers? or is there a mass?

if it is feathers, it could be fowl cholera. the first group of guineas we purchased (before we ever had chickens), one came down with fowl cholera (at least, our best guess) very soon after we got them here. we got everyone on terramycin. we lost her b/c she was already in such bad shape by the time we started treating, but the rest of the flock was ok.

Quote:
Thank you for responding! Her feathers are puffed up and her chest is puffed out. The best way I can describe it is to say that she looks like she's cold, but it's not cold outside. Are there other symptoms that come with fowl cholera? I've never even heard of it.

ok, well, as I re-research it, there are a lot of other symptoms and I really can't remember anymore if my hen had all those. I distinctly remember her puffing out around her neck and lethargy. but that may just be a general not-feeling-well symptom. either way, I think getting them started on antibiotics is probably a good idea.

Quote:
I don't want to give antibiotics without having at least a vague idea of what's going on. Whatever it was, she's much improved today. She's still a puffed out but she's perky and eating well. I'm beginning to suspect that she will be an early layer and that yesterdays symptoms may have something to do with that. Since yours is the only input I received here (thank you!), I will continue to search online.

I would think maybe egg bound has she laid an egg yet. I would not start antibiotics until you know what the problem is. What color was the runny poop and did it look like it had blood in it. I would also think worms could you look at the poop or take a sample to the vet for a fecal test.

Quote:
The poop was dark brown and runny, no blood, and more than is occasionally normal. She has not laid an egg yet and while she seems young, especially for a Buff Orpington, I'm beginning to suspect that it does, indeed, have something to do with egg production. I've never had an egg bound hen before, so I lack confidence in diagnosing that as the problem. Her chest is puffed-out but it doesn't feel particularly hard. She's eating and drinking this morning and scratching around in the grass. I've been watching for signs of squatting but I'm not seeing anything.

Back
Top Bottom