AMoritz

Songster
Jul 12, 2018
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Hi,
This is my first post here.
I have 6 cinnamon Queen chicken hens, 2 guinea fowl males, and 2 guinea fowl hens. That being said I've had a broody cinnamon Queen sitting in a nest if eggs for awhile, so I decided to do my own batch of guinea eggs in my incubator. I put them in my incubator on the 5th, I candled today and it appears 5 of the eggs are on day 19 or later?!
The only thing I can think of is since my guinea eggs were in the coop, the action of 8 laying hens activated and started growing my keets before I knew it for those 5 eggs.
During candling tonight I saw movement in 2 of those late day eggs, but when I hold them up to my ear I don't hear any chirping. Any ideas on how far along these 5 are?! I need to know when to lock those 5 down in my 2nd incubator!

Hi,
This is my first post here.
I have 6 cinnamon Queen chicken hens, 2 guinea fowl males, and 2 guinea fowl hens. That being said I've had a broody cinnamon Queen sitting in a nest if eggs for awhile, so I decided to do my own batch of guinea eggs in my incubator. I put them in my incubator on the 5th, I candled today and it appears 5 of the eggs are on day 19 or later?!
The only thing I can think of is since my guinea eggs were in the coop, the action of 8 laying hens activated and started growing my keets before I knew it for those 5 eggs.
During candling tonight I saw movement in 2 of those late day eggs, but when I hold them up to my ear I don't hear any chirping. Any ideas on how far along these 5 are?! I need to know when to lock those 5 down in my 2nd incubator!
You can lock them down when they internally pip.

So keep candling thet until I see an internal pip? How am I gonna know what that looks like? This is the first time I've ever incubated eggs of any sort as well so I'm a little nervous lol

So keep candling thet until I see an internal pip? How am I gonna know what that looks like? This is the first time I've ever incubated eggs of any sort as well so I'm a little nervous lol

:welcome
Once the keet makes an internal pip you will see the beak in the air cell (When you candle), you will also then be able to hear the tiny chipping sounds.
Don't panic, I have had external pipping prior to lock down and had successful hatching with strong little chicks & keets. Good luck and stay calm.

:welcome
Once the keet makes an internal pip you will see the beak in the air cell (When you candle), you will also then be able to hear the tiny chipping sounds.
Don't panic, I have had external pipping prior to lock down and had successful hatching with strong little chicks & keets. Good luck and stay calm.
I have one successful keet so far!
This little guy did everything last night while I was sleeping, eagerly waiting for the other 4...which means the other 30 eggs under my broody hen will be hatching too..not including the rest of the 34 eggs in the incubator
Anyone want some keets? Lol
IMG_20180715_081430_427.jpg

So.... I'm getting worried.
Sometime between 11:30pm and 7am this morning egg #2 made an external pip (there's a visible crack in the shell I can see if I look at an angle in the incubator that wasn't there when I went to bed).
But nothing's happened since I found it pipped this morning.
I know I shouldn't be touching it and helping it cuz I could actually kill it doing that, but when do you start to investigate to make sure there's still a live keet in there?

So.... I'm getting worried.
Sometime between 11:30pm and 7am this morning egg #2 made an external pip (there's a visible crack in the shell I can see if I look at an angle in the incubator that wasn't there when I went to bed).
But nothing's happened since I found it pipped this morning.
I know I shouldn't be touching it and helping it cuz I could actually kill it doing that, but when do you start to investigate to make sure there's still a live keet in there?
If it has just cracked the shell, it may be as much as another 24 hours before it gets serious and makes an actual hole.

Back
Top Bottom