1st time broody off eggs in cooler less humid day

Shewstock

Songster
Jan 8, 2022
My broody hen, Miss Gray, leaves her eggs only 20 minutes +/- and not every day. Our nights are getting cooler. Will be in 50s on Monday. The eggs should be hatching about then. I have a brooder made of thin cloth. I had planned to put her in there with her eggs. But I'm actually afraid to mess with her. Mother Nature knows what to do better than me. I KNOW I heard a chirp coming from under her. Very faint like you can hear when they're beginning to pip. I have the bigs (Miss Gray is one of 4). I have 4 teens and I have 3 younguns that have their 1st set of feathers. All share a coop. The bigs have already, pretty much, accepted the teens (they are rescues here since June 21st) and the 3 younguns that hatched Aug 3 via incubator. My chicks have all been hatched via incubator. This isn't just Miss Gray's 1st time hatching naturally. It's my 1st, too! I don't like separating as they all must live together. I'm not so worried about bigs, smalls and tinies as I am about cooler nights and Miss Gray getting off of them then. She is true to form as a Mom2B is. Grumpy, gripey, waspish and peckish. My gut says leave everyone alone. I looked at all the various broody hen topics. If this is a repeat, I apologize. Do you know how easy it is to get off topic when something else worth reading is right there staring me in the face? So, please, give me your expert advice! TYIA! Debi

Back
Top Bottom