1ST TIME GRANDMA,HELP!!!

dee88

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
Texas
My broody hen hatched 1 little eggie in the community chicken coop. The nest box was about 2 ft. off the ground and I had closed the doors on the henhouse to keep the other chickens away from the broody and her baby. I came home from work and found the little chick on the ground with the mama so I moved them to a metal horse trough that I filled with cedar shavings. (about 3 X 5 ft.) I put a mesh wire cover on the top of the trough to keep predators out. How long should I leave them in there? Should I put the mama hen back with the other chickens or should I wait? How long should I wait? If I put the mama back will the chicken be okay staying in the trough till he's big enough to put with the hens? How long is that, 2 mos? Any help or suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks.

There are as many ways to do this as there are chickens and I've done it most of them.
Separating the chick(s) will allow you to put the right amount of feed and water in front of the chick. But since there is only one I wouldn't do that.
The challenge to chicks with hens is that you have to switch them all to a grower ration so the chick doesn't get too much calcium. Provide the hens with oyster shell.
If you provide both layer in a higher feeder and starter, the hens will eat the starter first.
I like the idea of separating the hen and chick for about a week or so. Then you can continue layer feed for the rest of the flock. The trick after integrating is giving the chick feed and water at its level.

My childhood memories of our family barnyard chickens are that the mommas protected the chicks and the rest of the flock never bothered them. My mom would put the hen and chicks in a separate, secure ground cage until the chicks were older because our coop was a roosting house only, and not suitable for chicks, but during the day they would be wandering around the farm with everyone else. (After about 2 weeks, that is, because while the dogs never bothered the older chickens, fluffy chicks seemed to be an irresistible delicacy!)

Putting the momma and chick in with the rest should be OK. Make sure there are some places for them to escape unwanted attention and that the chick has access to (appropriate) food and water. Monitor to see that mom is caring for it and that the rest don't get aggressive.

I will add that we never had a situation with just one chick, and am not sure if that would make it more of a target. Will be interested to see what other folks say.

Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom