1st time trying to hatch eggs

Featherlove23

Chirping
Apr 29, 2022
Idaho
I don't have any eggs yet. But all three of my hens have been what I like to call "tagged" by 1 of my 2 roosters. So I'm hoping that their first eggs will be fertilized and I plan to hatch them if I can. But I have no idea what I'm doing. I've never had roosters before. What should I expect from the hens? I've heard of broody hens but have never had one. Advice? Thanks in advance. My 3 are bufforington (sorry if I misspelled it) blue laced silver Wyandotte. And I'm not sure on the 3rd. She's a mix breed. I think she has some brown leghorn 🤷

Attachments

• IMG_20220923_181748658.jpg
    IMG_20220923_181748658.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220923_170149410.jpg
    IMG_20220923_170149410.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I'm fairly inexperienced myself, but I can think of a couple of points.
So are these pullets? If they are, then their first eggs will be rather small and might hatch weaker chicks. So if you can wait a bit, until their eggs are full size, you will likely get better results.
You could wait a while, and see if any of your hens go broody, or you could buy an incubator. If you go down the incubator route, you will also need a brooder, and be able to look after the chicks until they are old enough to go with your other hens.
Mixing breeds isn't a problem. unless you want to sell purebred chicks.
(By the way, it's spelt Buff Orpington:))

I'm fairly inexperienced myself, but I can think of a couple of points.
So are these pullets? If they are, then their first eggs will be rather small and might hatch weaker chicks. So if you can wait a bit, until their eggs are full size, you will likely get better results.
You could wait a while, and see if any of your hens go broody, or you could buy an incubator. If you go down the incubator route, you will also need a brooder, and be able to look after the chicks until they are old enough to go with your other hens.
Mixing breeds isn't a problem. unless you want to sell purebred chicks.
(By the way, it's spelt Buff Orpington:))
They are fully grown. I got them this spring. I plan to wait to see if any of the hens go broody before using an incubator. But incase, I had my parents bring over theres when they came to visit. I'll probably wait till the eggs are full developed. Thanks for the advice. It really helped. And thanks for the proper spelling.

They are fully grown. I got them this spring. I plan to wait to see if any of the hens go broody before using an incubator. But incase, I had my parents bring over theres when they came to visit. I'll probably wait till the eggs are full developed. Thanks for the advice. It really helped. And thanks for the proper spelling.
Glad I could help!
Hopefully someone else more experienced might come along and give some more help.

Back
Top Bottom