1st time with ancona ducks...when can you sex?

We've pretty much figured out the colors But its the sex of the birds I'm wondering about I think that the blue one and the large black and white tricolor are males and the brown/tan one and the other black and white tricolor (smaller) are girls. Does the width of their bills and the broadness of their chests have anything to do with it? The width of their bills is quite striking, i e the two with the thinner chests have thinner bills.

You'll probably have to wait until they are at least six weeks old or older. About that age boy ducks will get a raspy, whispery voice.

We've pretty much figured out the colors But its the sex of the birds I'm wondering about I think that the blue one and the large black and white tricolor are males and the brown/tan one and the other black and white tricolor (smaller) are girls. Does the width of their bills and the broadness of their chests have anything to do with it? The width of their bills is quite striking, i e the two with the thinner chests have thinner bills.
No. At this age you cannot tell gender based on size, width of bill, etc. They can grow at different rates depending on how much they individually eat as well as genetics

they actually defy the laws of physics by pooping more than they actually consume.
I'm sorry, but this comment just made my whole day.
lau.gif

Last edited:
Can you get a clearer picture of them?

Looks like (from left to right) blue based tricolor, black based tricolor in back, black in front, and a chocolate on far right
I just acquired one 2 week old that I think is a black and 2 1 week olds that I think are lavender or blue maybe, and one 1 week old that I think might be a lilac or a silver possibly?
IMG_1807.jpg IMG_20190512_102110359_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg IMG_20190512_110736971.jpg IMG_20190512_111219757_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg IMG_20190512_115136768.jpg IMG_20190512_115142588.jpg

I have 3 ancona ducklings that are 6 weeks old at the moment. I have a definite quack coming from my little black one. I thought I heard a quack come from my chocolate one the other day, but not sure. My lilac still hasn't quacked so crossing my fingers for a drake.

Back
Top Bottom