2 coops, 3 hens with two different problems.

amenfarm

Songster
10 Years
May 10, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
Coop 1,1st hen, RIR laying 32 weeks, 5 days ago: displaying bubbly eyes, sight sneeze started second day. treatment so far, crated alone in laundry room, 2ml of long acting penicillin 2 days 1.5 ml penicillin today. One eye closed bubbly, staying crouched is eating and drinking treated water, was treating with sufamethione since Sunday-Tuesday changed to corid because of coop 2, also treated with oxine in vaporizer until Tuesday-should i continue? corid in water-er because of next 2 hens. I believe this started when they stayed outside because the coop light failed, i didn't notice and they when in the freezing rain overnight when i did. No one else is sick or looking unwell. respiratory aliment?
Coop 2,2ND hen Barred rock 27 weeks old, comb showing still immature, pale not laying. started 2 weeks ago, crated 1 week ago, having trouble using left leg, walking like a parrot, thought at first she sprained her leg crated so she could heal. Now after finding one hen dead immature,light colored comb 27 weeks, and finding another who( 27 weeks immature,light-colored comb) died within 8 hours of finding her unable to stand, then hen 3. giving 1.5 ml penicillin in case there is a infection causing her leg problem.
Coop 2, 3rd hen, barred rock 27 weeks old, immature, light colored comb, displaying dizzy, can't maintain balance, crated with hen 2, gave 2 ml penicillin Tuesday, Thursday. after reading symptoms act like cocci, treating with corid power since Tuesday night. Treating all coops for cocci. Coop 1 preventive, Coop2 severe infection treatment. I added the penicillin because they didn't seem right, when I realized it might be cocci, I left off the penicillin yesterday because she was standing mostly OK, this morning she was back to falling over and completely unbalanced, gave 2ml.
For coop 2, I am in the middle of a rat/ mice explosion. I have found the mixture of plaster of paris-peanut butter- veggie oil treatment and today no feces inside the feeding tube. the mixture is still being completely eaten , so I know their still in the barn. I have cut the feed to what they will eat during the day to try to cut down on incoming rodents. when I sweep the walkway outside there door yesterday it was covered in rodent droppings--never in 3 years have we had more than maybe one, two. Of the 5 other BR hens in this coop 4 have cherry red combs at least two are laying, i think a another is laying but have only gotten 2 eggs at a time, the fifth has an immature, pale comb and seems fine.
I feed free choice soluble and insoluble grit, boss once a day and 16% or 18% layer pellets.
does anyone have a suggestions?

Last edited:
If you are finding blood in their droppings, that's Cocci. Treat with Corid.

Respiratory issues can be anything from Coryza to mycoplasma to egg binding (egg presses against lungs). Treat with Tylan or other tetracycline.

Respiratory symptoms make me nervous, especially with rats and mice around. They can carry mycoplasma into your flock, and that is NO fun to deal with.

I would grab some Tylan 200 injectable tetracycline from Tractor Supply (grab syringes and needles while you're at it) and dose each bird showing symptoms orally with 1cc for standard hens and .5cc for pullets and bantams. You can divide the dose and give half in the morning and half before bed... Just make sure they get their dose.

No idea if Corid and Tylan can be run at the same time, but definitely treat for Cocci if you found blood in poops.

Single leg paralysis can be Marek's. Do you have any idea if your birds were vaccinated for it? Check their pupils, especially the one with trouble standing - Are her pupils perfectly round or are the edges losing their shape?

Paralysis can also be neurological or caused by toxins. Do they have access to anything with peeling paint or where pesticides, herbicides, or Styrofoam are kept? Chickens will eat ANY THING, especially if it's shiny... Be on the lookout for any metal shards in your yard. Lead poisoning can be caused by ingesting paint chips (think old painted barn door).

Any other information you can give is very helpful.

MrsB

Last edited:
I'm just a little confused, I am giving the inject-able Tylan orally? done, how many days?
Will be checking their run for anything--but there is nothing in the run for coop 1, I don't think there is anything in the run for coop 2 but a pallet we use to keep our corgi from wiggling in Thur the gate to eat chickens(sign) and a battery style 20 hole laying box we are getting rid of.
No blood in droppings, but from what I have seen they have most of the other symptoms and what I read seems to indicate that bloody stool is often not found or last symptom to appear. As we use DLM we may never see bloody droppings. No eye pupil changes in anyone.

Last edited:
I'm just a little confused, I am giving the inject-able Tylan orally? done, how many days?
Will be checking their run for anything--but there is nothing in the run for coop 1, I don't think there is anything in the run for coop 2 but a pallet we use to keep our corgi from wiggling in Thur the gate to eat chickens(sign) and a battery style 20 hole laying box we are getting rid of.
No blood in droppings, but from what I have seen they have most of the other symptoms and what I read seems to indicate that bloody stool is often not found or last symptom to appear. As we use DLM we may never see bloody droppings. No eye pupil changes in anyone.

The injectable is given orally, yes. :) You give it for 5-7 days for chickens with respiratory infections.

I'd definitely treat the entire flock for Cocci with the Corid. It's gentle.

MrsB

Did corid both coops, last day was sunday. Had to put down hen3 ysterday :(. The Tylan is working for hen 1. Both eyes open, seems to be perking up, eating and drinking well. I had hoped that the leg injury to hen 2 was just a sprain and she would get better in a crate-- No change. added vet Rx in water.
Still leaving out peanut butter/plaster paris balls for the rodent problem, today was the first day that most were still left from the night before, the feces is also becoming almost white...I'm thinking the rats are mostly or almost gone. My DH is making a 5 gal. bucket mouse trap for us this weekend. I can actually put it into the coop, no poison,so any rodents not going into the barn feed room (separted only by coop door) will hopefully be relocated from this life to the next! This spring during the clean-out we will be adding hardwear cloth to top of the walls, ect.
Thank-you for your help MrsBrooke, sure wish I knew what theTyan name stood for the 1st time I went looking for antibodics.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom