2 Dominiques with Different Combs Is one a Roo?

EggithaChristie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 21, 2014
Western Washington

These Dominiques were supposed to both be pullets but I'm not so sure. Hatched 5/8/2014 and purchased from the local feed store, they are almost 10 week . They are both so friendly. I will be sad if we have to give away one. What is the age recommendation of rehoming if a chick isn't the expected gender? Thanks in advance!

Yeap both girls. Congrats :).
Have a look at the tail / rump feathers and see how they are rounded and soft, also they don't hang down. If they were boys then they would be pointy with saddle feathers that hang down the sides of the tail

The reason their combs look different is because one has a rose comb and one has a single comb. Dominiques are supposed to have rose combs. Either the one with the single comb just got some recessive genes from it's parents or that one might actually be a barred rock instead.

The reason their combs look different is because one has a rose comb and one has a single comb. Dominiques are supposed to have rose combs. Either the one with the single comb just got some recessive genes from it's parents or that one might actually be a barred rock instead.

Oh, thank you for explaining that to me! was so confused why two girls of the same breed would have different combs!

They have female coloring for Dom's. Females are a good bit darker than males at that stage. Where did you get them? It looks like they may not be pure bred if one came out with a single comb.

this. It won't matter for your back yard flock much, they'll both lay nice brown eggs for you.

Back
Top Bottom