2 Drakes attacking my Pekin? Why?

KARy408

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Livermore, CA
After 3 years of owning only female ducks, my husband and I decided to try our hand with a Drake this spring in order to start perpetuating our flock. Long story short, it has been quite a bumpy ride!

Two weeks ago, we finally tracked down 2 Welsh Harlequin Drakes from a local farm. They've been super sweet and healthy, and have seemed to be adapting fairly well to our mixed breed flock of 9, until today!

The Dynamic had been interesting to watch, as they both took immediately to the Welshie girls, and very slowly began spreading out to our Runners. Only the Pekin has seemed to not like them, but she's always been more dominant within our flock. Finally over the weekend, they seemed to begin pursuing her more frequently, though we never actually witnessed anyone mate her, until this morning.

I don't know if that's what sparked the change but now the 2 Drakes are absolutely obsessed with the Pekin and they will not leave her alone! Except they aren't trying to mate her anymore, they're straight up attacking! They chase her down together, corner her, and then just start biting and pulling feathers. She has a huge patch missing from the side of her neck and is very stressed out-- she keeps doing that thing where they run around, agitated with they're beak open.

We've separated her from the rest of the flock for the night, but have no idea what to do in long term. Any ideas? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Back
Top Bottom