2 eggs from same mom malpositioned and pipped way outside the air cell. help!

thebulg

Chirping
Aug 20, 2015
North carolina

both pipped here. internal and external pip. i had no idea, it was on the bottom of the egg. both had the tan, leathery look to them. i put coconut oil on both, picked away enough shell to make sure i could see their beaks. both are chirping and breathing. we are late day 20 right now.

help, please.

and from looking over and over again at the assisted hatching guide and the malpositions site, i think it's either position 1 or 4.

current state of affairs. i followed the assisted hatching guide as best i could. both had brown tough spots so i tried to at least get the shell off around those areas so i could get moisture into the surrounding membrane. there are no major veins left, but there are still some that are more like pencil lines, so we will stop here for a while. the one with the much bigger area of shell missing actually seems to be doing well. it's breathing heavily, but its beak is resting on the membrane, it is moving, and it seems to be trying to get out. the other one, i can barely see the beak and it's breathing lightly. both are chirping though. and the one in the front, the brown one, is seriously just chilling. cracking me up. its been pipped for 18 hours and doesn't even care ha!

update. it looks like one of them is trying to break out! i have concerns about the other.

in case anyone else runs into this, i read, and re-read, and read again, the assisted hatching guide on this page. humidity was cranked to 70% and as high as 90% for a few minutes once.

i got the hell pulled away around the pip that was in the bad part of the egg. eventually i settled on the following method to keep the membranes soft and pliable: i took small quarter size pieces of paper towel and used a q-tip to spread coconut oil on the paper towel. enough to make the whole thing look wet, not nearly enough for the oil to pool or drip. i used those and placed them like patchwork around the opening i made, covering the membranes. it seems to have worked beautifully. membranes are nice and stretchy and not dried out at all and these suckers have now been in this state for well over 12 hours. but they are chirping, breathing just fine, moving around in their shells, and one clearly still has veins to absorb. so we can stay like this for a while!

Back
Top Bottom