2 Eggs in 4 Weeks

kazslo

Hatching
Aug 24, 2015
I bought 2 males and 4 females at a swap meet about a month ago (not knowing anything about quail). 4 I believe are cournix, 2 I believe bob whites (not sure right now of male/female qty of each breed). The seller had a decent amount of adults, chicks, and eggs, and told me these were at their egg-laying age. Brought them home, and the next morning I had 2 eggs. That had me excited, but there's been nothing since.

I've been feeding them "Purina Game Bird Chow Growth and Plumage" which I believe is Startena w/ 30% protein. Although they love to throw a decent amount of food on the ground, they always have some to eat and fresh water to drink. Pen is 4'x2', 1/2" hardware cloth floor, chicken wire sides and top. Light is about 12-14hrs per day (LED bulb all day, also near a window for sunlight).

Am I messing up somewhere? Do they need material to nest in or a closed off box? Everything I read says they should be producing with proper diet and light, which I think I have. Obviously the change of environment could affect them, but its been a month now. My other thought is that since the chickens have their separate room in the same garage, is it possible my rooster is stressing them out with his crowing? Maybe I've been jipped by the seller and these are too old? Any ideas are appreciated.

Your "bobwhites" are most likely tuxedo coturnix

You can't have two roosters in one cage, too much stress

You should keep coturnix roos with at least 4-7 hens each to avoid overbreeding which causes a lot of stress and can lead to the roo killing or seriously damaging a hen.

The two eggs they laid were already fully formed inside the birds they often "clear out" when moved.

As for the not laying, something is stressing your birds out, either what I mentioned above, predators, a light on at night, etc. 99% of the time when quail aren't laying stress is to blame.

Your "bobwhites" are most likely tuxedo coturnix

You can't have two roosters in one cage, too much stress

You should keep coturnix roos with at least 4-7 hens each to avoid overbreeding which causes a lot of stress and can lead to the roo killing or seriously damaging a hen.

The two eggs they laid were already fully formed inside the birds they often "clear out" when moved.

As for the not laying, something is stressing your birds out, either what I mentioned above, predators, a light on at night, etc. 99% of the time when quail aren't laying stress is to blame.

Hmm...I think I might get rid of a rooster then. The guy who sold them to me said 2 hens to each rooster. I'll definitely take a good look at what stressors might be around. Do you think the noise from the chickens could be stressing them out?

Often time, birds lay eggs when they're happy and and feel comfortable 'reproducing'. As much as we've domesticated them, common sense and instincts in the bird say "if this is a dangerous/new/frightening/unstable place, don't create offspring". Likewise if the hen's body is in stress from molting, injury, poor nutrition, etc. When I've brought new birds into my chicken and turkey flock, sometimes it upsets everyone's laying. Other times it doesn't. A month is usually a good timeframe to let the animals settle and start laying again.
I'd work to make their environment as comfortable as possible. I don't think the chicken sounds would be upsetting them. Sunlight is a key factor in health and nutrition, too.

There's all kinds of people with all kinds of experience and all kinds of philosophies out there, but from my own experiences and what I've gleaned from others, animals kept inside in cages don't reproduce well. Be it quail, rabbits, chickens, rodents, etc. Confined indoor places can lead to high stress, poor production, and casualties. Not always though! There's no 'right or wrong' 'black and white' way to raise any animal, we just have to figure out what works for us!

Often time, birds lay eggs when they're happy and and feel comfortable 'reproducing'. As much as we've domesticated them, common sense and instincts in the bird say "if this is a dangerous/new/frightening/unstable place, don't create offspring". Likewise if the hen's body is in stress from molting, injury, poor nutrition, etc. When I've brought new birds into my chicken and turkey flock, sometimes it upsets everyone's laying. Other times it doesn't. A month is usually a good timeframe to let the animals settle and start laying again.
I'd work to make their environment as comfortable as possible. I don't think the chicken sounds would be upsetting them. Sunlight is a key factor in health and nutrition, too.

There's all kinds of people with all kinds of experience and all kinds of philosophies out there, but from my own experiences and what I've gleaned from others, animals kept inside in cages don't reproduce well. Be it quail, rabbits, chickens, rodents, etc. Confined indoor places can lead to high stress, poor production, and casualties. Not always though! There's no 'right or wrong' 'black and white' way to raise any animal, we just have to figure out what works for us!
Robby at JMF will have sold over 1,000,000,000 hatching eggs this year so I'm going to have to completely disagree that birds in cages don't reproduce well. Not entirely sure what you'd suggest as a replacement to caging them since their instincts are so damaged they have no drive to flee predators, aren't fit to survive on what forage is available in many places and will just fly off and leave (or migrate if they're coturnix).

Back
Top Bottom