2 female ducks

apescute

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2016
I have 2 female mallards. One is much larger then the other and she is the boss. We have witnessed the large duck (Ducky Mo Mo) hold the smaller duck (Crackers) under water while biting her neck. Is Ducky trying to drown Crackers? Do I need to be worried? They get along great and Crackers is very submissive. What do I do?

It's breeding season, and ducks like to mate in water. Without a drake present they are going through the motions. It is not uncommon that multiple drakes gang breeding a duck can accidentally drown her.

I believe Sourland is correct. But thought I'd add that even with a drake my girls do it, I've heard it can be about dominance, mine switch between who is on top, but if Crackers is very submissive that'd make sense. I don't think you have to worry about drowning unless Ducky is very rough.

Thank you! This is what we thought but it's scary to watch. Thank you for your input. That eases some of our fears. We love our ducks and would hate for something to happen to them.

Yeah it definitely can look very concerning, the neck biting should keep their head above water enough that drowning isn't a risk.
My dad once looked outside to see one of the girls flat on the ground with the drake on top of her and the other girl biting her neck, he had a moment of worrying they'd killed her until he realized what was going on, haha.

Back
Top Bottom