2 Hens dead (2 slightly wounded, one pretty bad.)

Purelychicks

Songster
Nov 15, 2022
Arkansas
So I don’t have pictures of all three because this happened the other day and taking pictures wasn’t my current concern, but 2 of the hens died and I’m not sure what happened. So I was in the middle of doing my chores inside, when all my chickens start freaking out (mind you, they “free range” but only in the day time they go up at night.) I have 15 hens, and 2 roosters. But nonetheless, I went out to check and 3 hens were on the ground kind of in shock and the rest hiding in bushes. All of the attacked hens had slightly bloody/ruffled necks, and ruffled feathers. All seemed like they were shocked, one had blood coming out her nose. Tried hard to keep them alive but only one made it. Any ideas what might have got them (or at least tried) so I know how to protect them. I do have a very large coop because I used to have 35 chickens, but got rid of a bit so they all have a lot of room, but somehow the roosters still seem to fight and annoy the hens so I really prefer not penning them up. (Unless it’s necessary.) For some reason, they almost acted lethargic as if they had coccidiosis, but I know that’s not why because I know something tried to Snatch them. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_2799.jpeg
    IMG_2799.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2798.jpeg
    IMG_2798.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
So I don’t have pictures of all three because this happened the other day and taking pictures wasn’t my current concern, but 2 of the hens died and I’m not sure what happened. So I was in the middle of doing my chores inside, when all my chickens start freaking out (mind you, they “free range” but only in the day time they go up at night.) I have 15 hens, and 2 roosters. But nonetheless, I went out to check and 3 hens were on the ground kind of in shock and the rest hiding in bushes. All of the attacked hens had slightly bloody/ruffled necks, and ruffled feathers. All seemed like they were shocked, one had blood coming out her nose. Tried hard to keep them alive but only one made it. Any ideas what might have got them (or at least tried) so I know how to protect them. I do have a very large coop because I used to have 35 chickens, but got rid of a bit so they all have a lot of room, but somehow the roosters still seem to fight and annoy the hens so I really prefer not penning them up. (Unless it’s necessary.) For some reason, they almost acted lethargic as if they had coccidiosis, but I know that’s not why because I know something tried to Snatch them. Any ideas?
Oh no!! I’m so sorry! I have no clue! Maybe a hawk or vulture? Here are some BYC people who may know better that I do.
@Tookie @Wyorp Rock @SilverBirds @AidKD

What type of predators do you have around? My first thought it a cat. I would say hawk, but a hawk wouldn't get all 3 so quick.

The lethargy sounds like shock and it really sounds to me like a puppy or young dog, not really out to kill but "just playing" stupidly and with horrible effect. This predator was not intending to kill and eat.

Daytime attack could really be anything from Hawk to Fox to Coyote to Bobcat or something in between. I've lost birds to Fox, Coyote and Hawk during the day.
Even in a city you may have any of these.
A game camera (or more if you have them) set up can help you see what's coming around.

I'm sorry that you lost them.

The one that is injured but still alive, I'd check her carefully for wounds, punctures, abrasions and brusing. Often wounds are hidden under feathers and they can get infected.
Clean any wounds you find with saline, chlorhexidine (Hibiclens), Povidone Betadine, etc. then apply triple antibiotic ointment.

Work the bird through shock, if she's lethargic, then sugar water as suggested can be helpful. If you have electrolytes those are fine too. Once she's drinking, then offer food, it can be wet or dry. Bits of egg, fish or meat can be added to entice her to eat.

Keep us posted.

What's your predator load, do you know? I mean, do you live in an urban setting where a dog(s) are more likely, or in a rural area where you might have coyotes, foxes, raccoons, or arial predators like hawks?
I live on 50 ish acres with no neighbors for miles, I see hawks quite a bit but don’t have a huge problem with them, I do have an eagle on the other side of the property that I rarely see, and a few buzzards that hang around. Also I do have possums which could be a possibility but 3 injured chickens in the matter of a few minutes? never seen foxes but have heard them, and have seen coyotes run across my yard but also the coyotes just pick up the whole bird because I’ve had them snatch some before so not sure why a coyote would just injure a few

Daytime attack could really be anything from Hawk to Fox to Coyote to Bobcat or something in between. I've lost birds to Fox, Coyote and Hawk during the day.
Even in a city you may have any of these.
A game camera (or more if you have them) set up can help you see what's coming around.

I'm sorry that you lost them.

The one that is injured but still alive, I'd check her carefully for wounds, punctures, abrasions and brusing. Often wounds are hidden under feathers and they can get infected.
Clean any wounds you find with saline, chlorhexidine (Hibiclens), Povidone Betadine, etc. then apply triple antibiotic ointment.

Work the bird through shock, if she's lethargic, then sugar water as suggested can be helpful. If you have electrolytes those are fine too. Once she's drinking, then offer food, it can be wet or dry. Bits of egg, fish or meat can be added to entice her to eat.

Keep us posted.
3rd one seems fine she was a little lethargic and ruffled for a day or two but I got some electrolytes and vitamin packets down her and she’s out with the flock now no injuries but the problem with the other 2, is I literally could not get them to eat or drink at all they just slept till they passed I even dipped their beaks in it and they would shake it off or just let it drip off so not really much I could do.. the one that had a bleeding nose I’m not sure if that came from an internal injury or not but she died within an hour or less.

Back
Top Bottom