2 hens laying thin eggs

McReynolds

Chirping
Jan 7, 2022
2 of my hens are now laying brittle eggs when I come to collect inside is eaten, leaving just one other strong shelled egg not touched, I give layer feed and offer oyster shells past few days have put flubenvet wormer in to feed, would that cause thin eggs? Any other tips to improve shell strength?

What do your birds eat aside from layer feed? Sometimes overfeeding treats can lead to imbalances. How long have you been offering oyster shell?

I had some soft shelled eggs this past winter. Based on advice here, I switched to a higher protein feed (18%) and cut out treats. I supplemented with a poultry vitamin once a week. I make sure the container of oyster shell and egg shell is never empty.

What do your birds eat aside from layer feed? Sometimes overfeeding treats can lead to imbalances. How long have you been offering oyster shell?

I had some soft shelled eggs this past winter. Based on advice here, I switched to a higher protein feed (18%) and cut out treats. I supplemented with a poultry vitamin once a week. I make sure the container of oyster shell and egg shell is never empty.
Oyster shell offered for over a month now and besides layer feed they get the odd handful of dandilions and a treat once a week if there lucky

That doesn't sound like the issue. How old is the hen? Are you in the Southern hemisphere?
Northern hemisphere, was given hens by someone I know they werent sure what age they were thought they were a year our so old , I am not so sure they don't look old then again they have good sized combs got them last autumn and they sort of molted but didn't if that makes sense they were never bald looking so maybe they are younger

Northern hemisphere, was given hens by someone I know they werent sure what age they were thought they were a year our so old , I am not so sure they don't look old then again they have good sized combs got them last autumn and they sort of molted but didn't if that makes sense they were never bald looking so maybe they are younger
I'm not very experienced yet. I'll leave you in more experienced hands.

It's super easy to give a chicken a pill, if this is recommended. I thought it would be hard so I'll share more detailed instruction.

I'm right-handed. I hold the chicken like a football on the left side, her head pointing the same direction as mine. Take pill in right hand. Grab wattles with left hand and place pill into beak with right hand. Place on top of tongue and toward the throat, she'll swallow it.

I'm not very experienced yet. I'll leave you in more experienced hands.

It's super easy to give a chicken a pill, if this is recommended. I thought it would be hard so I'll share more detailed instruction.

I'm right-handed. I hold the chicken like a football on the left side, her head pointing the same direction as mine. Take pill in right hand. Grab wattles with left hand and place pill into beak with right hand. Place on top of tongue and toward the throat, she'll swallow it.
Wow that sounds random. I was going to recommend a calcium supplement but I'm not confident giving advice outside of my realm of experience. I gave a pull for a different issue. Sorry my editing and lack of caffeine didn't mix well.

Older hens can have this problem, it's a shell gland malfunction. Right now we have two hens producing eggs like that, and I hate to cull old hens, but am getting close!
Your birds are getting plenty of Ca, having layer feed and separate oyster shell, so it seems unlikely that adding more will help, sorry.
Are these hens eating well, good weights, and have no other obvious health issues? It's hard to tell, but at least check for mites and lice, maybe have fecals run at the veterinarian's, and that they empty their crops overnight. All issues that are manageable if present.
Good luck,
Mary

Older hens can have this problem, it's a shell gland malfunction. Right now we have two hens producing eggs like that, and I hate to cull old hens, but am getting close!
Your birds are getting plenty of Ca, having layer feed and separate oyster shell, so it seems unlikely that adding more will help, sorry.
Are these hens eating well, good weights, and have no other obvious health issues? It's hard to tell, but at least check for mites and lice, maybe have fecals run at the veterinarian's, and that they empty their crops overnight. All issues that are manageable if present.
Good luck,
Mary
Hi all hens good shape bright red combs and lively dewormed last week as one has had a messy bum and the other a bald red bum so figured as seen worms in poop that was it , had thought might be vent gleet but no funky smell, 2 of the hens had bald bums when i got them last sept. When i wormed them was strangly was same time I got one more soft shell egg using flubenvet but it doesn't have sideaffects. Not sure what to do now

Back
Top Bottom