2 hens on one leg (see pic)

motorboy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
River Falls, WI
2 of my 4 hens have injured legs.

The worst one (Goldstar) must have happened yesterday and she never puts the bad one down and must hop on one leg while flapping her wings for balance. I see no injuries on it and I squeezed it and found no reaction to tender spots. There was blood on the perch and none on any legs or feet, but this hen with the bad leg has a bad cut on her head just behind her comb.

How do you know if a leg is broke? What else could it be?

Is the perch too high? It is just under 5’ up so they can look out the window. They hop up there with one step (nesting box) but just hop/fly to the ground when getting off.

One of the other 4 hens has had a sore leg since last week, but she will walk on it even though she only stands on the good one.

Here is a pic of the coop setup:
13806_102_3407_2.jpg

Last edited:
I can't help you with the leg - I'm assuming that it looks normal?

But, I can say that it looks like you might have heavy breeds, and if you do, that might be a little far for them to safely fly/jump down - they can injure their legs (combination of heavy body, not so good maneuverability).
I've been told that the biggest distance that is safe for full grown heavy weights is 3 feet. You could add a box, or something so they could jump up to the box you have, and then another, and then the window roost.

Just my opinion! And perhaps your chicken isn't a heavy breed, either.

GeeWiz, you are probably right!

The white one is a LIGHT BRAHMAS and she is a gentle tank >10 pounds and has not had a problem yet.

I forget what the black one is, but is only about 7 pounds and she has had the sore leg for a week.

The one with the real bad leg is a gold star. She is thin and athletic, but she is new and maybe was not used to my apparently dangerous set-up.

No visible sighs of trauma to her leg

keep the advise comming...

Back
Top Bottom