2 Momma Hens

Philly5503

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 15, 2014
I have 2 Hens both wanting to raise the 6 chicks that they both managed to hatch. My speckled hen is a first time mother and was unsuccessful 2 previous times having chicks she hatched survive beyond a day or two, so the last time it happened and she jumped off the nest, i moved about 8 eggs into my white hens nest, she has been successful in the past hatching and bringing babies to full grown, and sure enough, she sat on them while the other hen sat on 2 in her nest. A couple weeks later, and we have 6 baby chicks, 1 was deceased in the speckled hens nest and we found one deceased within the coop. What i find remarkable, is that these 2 hens have come together to raise these chicks and they are doing a pretty good job. Everything i have read regarding this, hasnt been good. Anybody else with this experience or suggestions? I call the speckled one the big sister...lol.
I havent figured out yet how to include pics in a new post, but i think i can add to an existing one so Im going to submit this post, then try the pics.

Back
Top Bottom