2 mystery chicks

brit01

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2015
Can anyone help me ID these two? Chick #1 is large framed with pink legs and all white feathering. I do think she is a she, but could be wrong of course. She's quite docile. I'm worried with her large frame that she is a meat bird and thus won't be a good layer? Cornish X? White rock? I really don't know!

Chick #2 is primarily black with white penciling around the neck and light copper framing around the face. I originally thought australorp but I do not think so- comb is wrong. Is a black cooper marans a possibility with the copper around the face? Any ideas on pullet or roo?

I have a hunch that the top is a pullet and the bottom is a cockerel, but its still pretty early. I can't tell what kind of comb the whitish one has, it kinda looks like a pea comb, but it might also be a single. My first guess for her was EE? (If she does have a pea comb and it looks like she has a beard) but I have no idea about the second... Just looks like a mix to me

Sorry forgot to say they're a little over a month old! She does kind of have those EE-looking cheek tufts, but no green legs and I don't THINK her comb is a pea comb, maybe just a small single?

The light one does have a pea comb. Looks to be a pullet with that single ridge of 'peas.' That and the fluffy cheeks point to Easter Egger or pure Ameraucana mix. Pure Ameraucana do have white skin.
The dark one has a rose comb so I'm guessing Wyandotte mix for that one. It does look like a cockerel

Junebuggena I hadn't considered an ameracauna! What a delight that would be! The comb has me tripped up still and no beard...

I think you are right about the second as well. Explains the silver penciling too. I guess FBCM was just wishful thinking!
1f62d.png

Last edited:
Junebuggena I hadn't considered an ameracauna! What a delight that would be! The comb has me tripped up still and no beard...

I think you are right about the second as well. Explains the silver penciling too. I guess FBCM was just wishful thinking!
1f62d.png
They aren't 'purebred', but given their comb types, it's my best guess as to what at least one parent could have been. The light one definitely has a pea comb, though.

What color feet do ameracaunas have? I was thinking dark? Hers are pink :/

Back
Top Bottom