2 New Girls (rescued), Feather Picking, Need Advice (Graphic Picture Alert)

Lake Chick

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2017
Have been reading (and recommending!) this site for years but this is my first post. :)
I have had chickens for the past 3 years, and recently lost 2 due to natural causes. In casual conversation with a friend I learned of a girl who was unable to move her chickens with her to a new address who was looking to rehome them. Sounds like divine intervention, right? Of course I offered to take the girls. When I went to get them I found out they were sisters, and one had plucked ALL the tail feathers out of the other, and the "picker" had several patches of plucked feathers as well, though not as severe. Additionally, they were living in a cage elevated off the ground with a wire bottom, a covered laying box area (also wire bottom) and no enrichment other than a feeder and waterer. The property behind them had 3 dogs that I was told were not nice, definitely were acting aggressive while I was there. The owner also had adopted a dog that had killed the sister chick to these 2. I was told the "picker" had pulled out her sisters feathers, and they have just never grown back. There are definitely pin feathers there poking out however. I gathered them up and took them home. perplexed about the best way to introduce them to my flock. A little about my coop/ flock - My dear hubby built me a WONDERFUL coop - cement floor (covered in cedar shavings) automatic waterer hooked to a well, auto door that lets them out into a fenced yard covered with bird net. The yard has a mirror, perch/ swing, and we are always giving fresh greens, treats, etc. in different ways to alleviate boredom. They also get outside time to forage, etc. in the yard with us watching (we have a lot of hawks, eagles, owls & osprey here.) Yes, they are extremely spoiled chickens! The coop has a "quarantine" side that is separated by chicken wire, used for naughty, broody, or sick chickens on occasion. This is where the new girls are currently so they can get used to the other girls before being subjected to the pecking order sort out. They are able to roost at night close to the flock on this side as well.
The effects of their previous life is evident - they wouldn't come down off their roost for the first day other than to eat. I put a handful of meal worms and some greens in the shavings to encourage foraging - they were not enticed to do so, and it took 2 days for them to eat most of it. I am so sad they do not really seem to know how to be "chickens." I am working daily to hold them, pet them, and get them used to being examined (feet, beaks, body) for health. They are handling this ok, but still very skittish.
The girls do not seem to be picking at their feathers as much currently. However, I am fearful they will start again, and also if I put them in to "gen pop" with the others they may adopt the bad behavior and continue to pull her feathers out. I have seen some blood around the pin feathers when they initially got here, and we all know what red signifies to a chicken - peck it!!
Question 1 - Any ideas what I can do to help them feel safe to forage, etc.?
Question 2 - Any thoughts about the feather regrowth? Do you think they will grow back? how to Question 3 - Any suggestions on how to introduce these girls into the flock without creating a more stressful issue?

Oh yes - I have a mixed flock of girls - 1 Road Island Red, 2 English Orpingtons, 1 Welsummer, 1 Barnevelder, 1 Speckled Sussex, 2 Easter Eggers, 1 golden laced Polish. And the 2 new girls are Americanas.
Thank you for reading this LONG post, and for any advice!

Attachments

• IMG_2107.JPG
    IMG_2107.JPG
    458.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2110.JPG
    IMG_2110.JPG
    463.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2111.JPG
    IMG_2111.JPG
    721.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2114.JPG
    IMG_2114.JPG
    474.7 KB · Views: 11
When I went to get them I found out they were sisters, and one had plucked ALL the tail feathers out of the other, and the "picker" had several patches of plucked feathers as well, though not as severe.

I was told the "picker" had pulled out her sisters feathers, and they have just never grown back. There are definitely pin feathers there poking out however. I gathered them up and took them home. perplexed about the best way to introduce them to my flock.

The effects of their previous life is evident - they wouldn't come down off their roost for the first day other than to eat. I put a handful of meal worms and some greens in the shavings to encourage foraging - they were not enticed to do so, and it took 2 days for them to eat most of it. I am so sad they do not really seem to know how to be "chickens."

I have seen some blood around the pin feathers when they initially got here, and we all know what red signifies to a chicken - peck it!!
Question 2 - Any thoughts about the feather regrowth? Do you think they will grow back? how to Question 3 - Any suggestions on how to introduce these girls into the flock without creating a more stressful issue?
Welcome To BYC

Idea=give them time. They are in a new home, new surroundings, new chickens to look at...they need time to acclimate. I'm not surprised it took them 2 days for them to feel comfortable enough to eat all their food -chickens don't really like change.

Question 2 - Any thoughts about the feather regrowth? Do you think they will grow back?
I see broken blood feathers. Broken feathers generally will be replaced once the pullet(?)hen(?) molts.
Since both seem to be pecking at one another, are they eating the feathers they pick at? Increase protein %.

3 - Any suggestions on how to introduce these girls into the flock without creating a more stressful issue?
You have them next to your chickens already, so basically you are practicing a see-but-don't-touch integration. Let the newbies settle, then slowly started letting them mix with your existing flock.

I would look them over for lice/mites as well. Hopefully you have no problems.

upload_2019-10-26_15-9-57.png

I put a handful of meal worms and some greens in the shavings to encourage foraging - they were not enticed to do so, and it took 2 days for them to eat most of it.
Do they also have a good chicken ration available?

I'd pluck out those broken pin feathers, use good pliers or hemostats to fully pluck them out and new one will grow back very soon.

Back
Top Bottom