2 roos look alike, one frizzled, one normal - breed???

skyedobb

Songster
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
Quad Cities, IA
25315_pc040003.jpg
- flat feathers
25315_pc040006.jpg
- frizzle

From a very mixed flock/hatch so they could be mutts...but since they both look so alike (minus frizzle vs. flat), thought maybe not? Hatched May '09.

Last edited:
The frizzle/silkie one has greenish/brownish/yellowish/grayish legs, and the smooth-feathered one has more brown/gray/black eggs, but in the right light I could be convinced that they have some green. I was thinking EE, too... Here are the potential breeds of the mixed flock: Roosters = golden polish, black cochin, easter eggers (blue,white and black feathers),welsummer,salmon faverolle and cuckoo maran; Hens = speckled sussex, gold polish, cresevour, dorkings,rhode island red, turken. I don't think the person I got the eggs from has any silkies, so that's why I was leaning frizzle. I've never been around frizzle so I really don't know. They're really nice roos, not aggressive at all, and what they are doesn't really matter. I was trying to sell them b/c I do have a couple/few too many for my hens especially with decreased roaming in winter but no one took me up on it. I was just curious.

Haven't gone outside to check on toes yet but did email the person I got the eggs from and she did have a silkie roo and no frizzle, so it likely is a silkie cross! Thanks for that tip!
smile.png

Quote:
And actually, I don't know that the toe thing will be that helpful now, as Faverolles, Dorkings, and silkies all have 5 toes! I think we can guarantee who the second roos daddy is though! That's definitely a silkie cross!

Those are silkied feathers, not frizzled. Silkie feathers can be the result of a genetic mutation, not necessarily from a silkie parent. The only way to know for sure is to find out what their lineage is.

Back
Top Bottom