2 roo's?

OhMyItsAndyy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 22, 2009
West England
Hey beautiful people
smile.png

So a few months ago we hatched out eight gorgeous babies (Pekin frizzle by silkie and strange concutions) 5 girlies and three boys, two boys have moved on but we have kept the one, hes such a cutie. But Daddy roo is picking on the poor mite now. Any ideas what I could do and keep them both? The son roo is twice the size of his daddy so it's not like he couldn't kick his butt! He just accepts the higher authority, which is where i am stuck. Simple pecking and nipping to maintain pecing order would make sense but the aggresion the father is giving is wierd. They have eight hens in with them, and both boys get along fine with the hens. Baby roo never causes trouble, but he's taken to hiding on top of the hen house from dawn til dusk to keep away from dad. I dunno what to do for him, hopefully we're getting two more hens soon, will this help?

Peace out .x.
jumpy.gif

It sounds like the older rooster has recognized the younger as a rival but the younger one is too immature to really challenge the established flock master. Expect that challenge to happen at some point as the younger one matures. I can't tell you what will happen when that does come about. One may kill the other or they may reach an accommodation where one is flock master and the other is the able assistant. Size will not be the determining factor. The spirit of the rooster is more important.

What breed is the older rooster? Some breeds, like the Game, are often relunctant to share a flock. Bantams are often more aggressive than larger roosters, but plenty of people have bantams and full sized roosters together. Often, roosters that grow with the flock reach an accommodation, whether a brother-brother or father-son situation, but sometimes they fight to the death as the younger matures. The more room they have to get away from and stay away from each other the better the odds. Space is something a lot of people can't do much about, but I think it is the most important factor in chickens getting along, other than pure personality of the chickens involved. Some chickens, just like some people, just can't get along with anybody.

Getting two more hens will change the flock dynamics. I don't know if it will help the situation or not. The two new hens may be a point of conflict, they may actually help smooth things out, or they may make no difference between the two roosters. I think it depends on space and the individual personalities.

I would not separate the two roosters if you ever want to keep them together. If you separate them until the younger one matures some more, when they get back together they will have a very serious fight for flock dominance. They have a much better chance of reaching an accommodation without killing each other if they are left together.

Good luck with this. I really can't tell you what will happen.

Thankyou xx

The daddy roo is a half pekin frizzle bantam and half silkie bantam
and his son is half silkie, quarter silkie bantam and quarter pekin frizzle. he created a cute silkie frizzle look-a-like.

The son doesn't have any conflict in him at all, he's just scared to death to be near his father. and the dad is just a meanie in nature. he's not very gentle with his ladies at the best of times, my main concern is the son roo.
the younger roo is about six months now, and his father a year. young parant or what :hmm
with just the girls, younger roo is happy, poor thing

Ridgerunner has some good advice.

We had two roos together for awhile. The EE hung out with the younger hens while the cochin had the older hens. As the EE grew up, he began mating with the hens behind the cochin's back. We separated the cochins from the laying flock so each roo has his own run and harem now. Although they do puff up their hackles at one another through the fence periodically.

Would it be possible to separate the roos and your hens? Make sure the younger one gets a few hens for his own?

Back
Top Bottom