2 Roosters- to keep or not to keep??

Mdavchicks

Chirping
Jul 22, 2022
Hi! I have 14 hens and 2 roosters (Whiting True Green and Buff Orpington) all 3 months old and have been together since day 1. We got a surprise rooster and I was wondering if there is a chance I could keep both. Would the hen to rooster ratio be okay?
As far as space goes- they have a 100sqft coop, a 260sqft enclosed covered run and free range on 2 acres for about 3-4 hours each day
They get along really well right now but only one is crowing so I don't think their hormones have kicked in yet.
Any advice/tips on having a two rooster flock and they live peacefully together?
Thanks!!

Welcome!
It might be fine, or not. having at least two separate feeders and waterers in different locations makes a difference, and having 'clutter' out there do occupy their time is good too.
Beyond that, have Plan B ready for a day when things go south. We've had as five at once get along, when there's a good amount of free range time. Our coop has dividers so birds can be out of sight of each other, a big plus. And fewer roosters is definitely more peaceful!
Do you have plans for both of these cockerels? Do you want chicks from either or both of them? What are your goals for this flock? As long as things are peaceful, there's time to sort this out.
Mary

Hi! I have 14 hens and 2 roosters (Whiting True Green and Buff Orpington) all 3 months old and have been together since day 1. We got a surprise rooster and I was wondering if there is a chance I could keep both. Would the hen to rooster ratio be okay?
As far as space goes- they have a 100sqft coop, a 260sqft enclosed covered run and free range on 2 acres for about 3-4 hours each day
They get along really well right now but only one is crowing so I don't think their hormones have kicked in yet.
Any advice/tips on having a two rooster flock and they live peacefully together?
Thanks!!
Yes, split them up, each with some hens with their own coop and run.
It's not that two roosters can't get along but if they are confined together in a single coop and run the chances are greatly reduced.
The 7:1 ratio is fine. Less hens would be better if you free range.

Welcome!
It might be fine, or not. having at least two separate feeders and waterers in different locations makes a difference, and having 'clutter' out there do occupy their time is good too.
Beyond that, have Plan B ready for a day when things go south. We've had as five at once get along, when there's a good amount of free range time. Our coop has dividers so birds can be out of sight of each other, a big plus. And fewer roosters is definitely more peaceful!
Do you have plans for both of these cockerels? Do you want chicks from either or both of them? What are your goals for this flock? As long as things are peaceful, there's time to sort this out.
Mary
Thanks Mary! This is my first time having chickens so really my only goal for my flock are pets and having fresh eggs daily :) I really only wanted one rooster for protection/alerting us but ended up with the extra. I’m not sure if we will end up wanting chicks out of our flock (is that weird having a hen from the rooster I have? I’m assuming they would try to mate with their daughter??) If there are going to be issues, what age does that typically start happening? I’ve bonded with both and would hate to see one go. If I had to rehome one I would just want him to go to a loving home.

I keep multiple roosters with out splitting them up. I do free range so plenty of space. Sometimes roosters pair and work as dominant and subordinate. Other times they go to their own space with a few hens following each.
Thanks! Do you keep them in the same coop at night? Or do they free range all the time? We have a large hawk population in our area so I don’t feel comfortable letting them free range for too long.

I keep multiple roosters with out splitting them up. I do free range so plenty of space. Sometimes roosters pair and work as dominant and subordinate. Other times they go to their own space with a few hens following each.

Second this. I have 2 guys for 16 hens. One of them is the head hancho, the other one is kind of a bachelor and does his own thing. They tolerate eachother, but have 2 acres to play on so dont interact a ton.

Back
Top Bottom