2 sick ducks please help!

jennjen2011

Chirping
Mar 21, 2023
I need help, I have 9 khaki Campbells that are about 4 months old, they free have their own small pond and coop with my chickens at night, tonight I have 2 that are completely lethargic, I've had this happened one time before with them about a month ago but they where fine the next morning. They where fine one minute and within like 30 minutes went from stumbling, to not being able to hold their head up, almost like they are paralyzed. I'm at a loss at what this can be, out of my 9, only 2 are acting this way, they are currently inside with me, still cant move or anything, breathing seems normal, also my husband and I where outside all evening with them so no, no predator messed with them.couod there be something their eating? Any ideas? TIA.

Sure sounds like they have eaten something toxic. Would be a good idea to use a flush on them just to rule this out.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal.700526/
activated charcoal is a good one, just follow directions to a T. Any idea what they may have gotten into. You may want to walk over their property just to see if you can find anything.
Good news is this morning they where fine and acted like nothing had happened, idk what it could be, my husband I walked all over the place and didn't see anything.

I’d have some activated charcoal on hand just in case. What plants are they around and any standing water that maybe stagnet?
Their pond had a filtration system so maybe it's not the water and they free range on about an acre and half, it was an old hay field at one time so most of the grass that grows is Bermuda grass, but other that and your normal weeds here and there , the only other thing in there are pine trees, I also keep the feed out of the coop at night so they don't get it all wet and end up eating rotten moldy feed, I read somewhere where that can be harmful to ducks too

Moldy feed is terrible for all poultry so you’re doing everything right. If it happens again I’d get them on a flush right away. If you’re not sure if it’s the same two who have this happen you could always put a tie wrap on them so you’ll know. If it happens again. Just make sure it’s not too tight

Moldy feed is terrible for all poultry so you’re doing everything right. If it happens again I’d get them on a flush right away. If you’re not sure if it’s the same two who have this happen you could always put a tie wrap on them so you’ll know. If it happens again. Just make sure it’s not too tight
Thanks for the info, I have ordered some of the active charcoal to keep on hand also, and it was 2 different ducks this time which makes it even more confusing!! It's almost like they are eating something that makes them extremely high and it wears off after a while, I just can't figure it out.

Loco weed? One year we had a bat that must have gotten into something like that poor thing ended up almost on the ground like it couldn’t fly. So No telling unless you happen to see something growing out in their area that you aren’t familiar with then look it up and see if it toxic to waterfowl

Back
Top Bottom