2 week old Silver Laced Wyandotte with single comb (pictures)

shadowmane

Songster
7 Years
Feb 20, 2012
China Grove, North Carolina
My Coop
My Coop
Okay, all the others have a flat spot where the comb is supposed to be right now. But one has a little yellow single comb sticking up. This is an Ideal Poultry bird bought from the local feed store. I have 7 of them (plus 7 Americaunas and a Sex Link), and this is the only one with a comb. Could this be a rooster or just a cross breed?

Notice the single comb, with some red feathering on the head. In comparison, I have another picture of Sophie, another SLW from this batch.

Is it a rooster, or just an anomoly? Do SLW's get a comb at 2 weeks old?

That chickie has a single comb, it will not magically turn into the correct (rose) comb. It's possible that it was accidently mixed in the the group. What other breeds were they offering?

Occasionally, wyandottes will throw a chick with a single comb. Even two show quality birds with impeccable lines will do that occasionally.

I hatched 5 blue laced red wyandotte eggs from great lines. Four have rose combs, one has a single comb.

The other chick looks to have dark feet and also seems to be a different color pattern. That is why I asked about available breeds.

It happens occasionally in Wyandottes. My breeder line SLWs have popped out a couple this year, and one of my BLRWs. I'll just sell those birds as laying hens if they're female, eat them if they're male.

I was joking with the wife tonight that we should try to find a single comb SLW rooster and try to specifically breed SLW's with the single comb. Could be the beginning of a new breed of chicken... but only in our dreams.

Well, it wouldn't be too hard to find, they crop up pretty regular. More with hatchery stock, but I've read rose combs are linked to lower fertility so breeders cross a straight comb bird back in every so often to keep fertility up. But don't tell the poor rose combed rooster he's not getting it done, that would hurt his feelings lol.

Back
Top Bottom