2" x 4" Welded Wire for Run Apron

Untouchablemily

In the Brooder
May 13, 2018
I am currently working on constructing the chicken run for our coop and am trying to figure out what to use for the apron. I purchased a role of 1/2" hardware cloth for the run sides but am affraid I didn't get enough to do the 2' apron I am planning to add to the base.

Would 2"x4" welded wire be sufficient for the apron? We will have all sorts of chicken loving creatures running around our property so I want to make sure our girls (and boy) are safe!

I’d go smaller than that.
Any number of creatures could breach the openings of that size.

Even if it's just the apron, buried underground? I'm planning on putting hardware cloth (1/2" openings) from the ground to the top of the run...

Yes it's sufficient. It works for fencing too. The only thing that will infiltrate the run is a weasel and those typically make kills at night. Keep the coop secure with hardware cloth. The run is good with 2x4 welded wire.

The expense of hardware cloth is not warranted for runs. To be 100% fort knox you'd have to cover the top too. Critters climb with ease and of course you've got hawks. The reality of things is 2x4 openings is fine for daytime protection and aprons. You'll have an occasional loss and that's unavoidable unless your complete hardware from apron to cover of run which is not practical for any fair sized run.

Back
Top Bottom