-20 below, what do I do for my flock??

Quote:
I go there every summer! We go to Sterling ren faire and usually stay over in the Best Western Captain's Quarters. At least you guys don't have 4 feet of snow this year, huh??

No that's true we have a lot more than that! Snow is a good insulator though. I'm actually in northern Oswego county in Happy Valley. We get a ton of snow up here compared to the city of Oswego. The rennasance (sp) fair is awsome. I went a few yrs ago.

I just want to add that cold tolerance is somewhat dependent on the breed - you can have breeds that will have a harder time in very cold weather.

Vaseline on the combs helps ward off frost bite

All the tips on feeding higher fat food are good, as is advice to keep them hydrated.

And finally, if you are still worried, stick your fingers under their feather coat and see whether they are warm or not - it will make you feel better when you see how toasty they can be. In my old coop (uninsulated), hens used to have little frost rims where they tucked their heads into their wings - but being heavy breeds, were fine.

Also, if you know your chickens are going to be exposed to below freezing temps, be sure to have roosts that are flat so they "sit" on their feet - keeps them from freezing, while a roost that lets them curl their toes down and under means their toes are exposed to freezing, and can actually freeze. Chickens can lose toes that way.

It is 26 below zero as I write, but I have an insulated coop now and it is about 20 above zero, even with a heat lamp.

I've been fighting frozen water all day long, and I finally decided to bring my girls into the basement tonight. I was torn on what to do, because we're going down to -10 with -30 wind chills, and I just couldn't stomach the thought of finding frozen chickens in the morning. I can't get their stupid waterer out of the coop because it's frozen solid, even with 2 250-watt heat lamps going and no drafts, because the door won't open all the way due to frozen ground and snow. Grrr....

I really hope I'm not doing them any damage by bringing them in tonight!

Amy

Last edited:
Well I brought my japs inside which was good because in the middle of the night the surge protector flipped cutting off all heat and freezing the water. The standards were completely content in -20F. They were a bit eager for fresh water but most took one quick drink and walked off. They demanded sunflower seeds and mobbed the pile. Then they went back to wandering around the coop unconcerned at the temps and bored with the fact that outdoors it was -40 windchill with snow up to my knees and there was no way they wanted to step out in that. Breed can really make a difference but hardy standards don't seem phased by even subzero temps. Unless you have sensitive breeds like my japanese bantams I really don't think you need to worry about heating until at least 0F. Animals kept in heated buildings tend to actually be the first ones to get sick when allowed outside access or during temperature swings.

lol ... only 6 birds ??? Well, then... you can survive a few days of cold easily.....just bring 'em inside !!! (just kidding) If nothing else you could bring them into an attached garage too for the few days of the bitter stuff. We northerners are all suffering the same problems...good luck!

It got down to -25 here last night and tonight it's going to hit that again. I had two heat lamps going...one over the water (it STILL froze a bit) and one up higher aiming at the rooster which is where everyone slept all crowded LOL They were all just fine though. I do have insulated walls. Tonight we are having -45 with wind chill too. It's COLD out there tonight! Hope your crew is ok.

They are doing well... eating and drinking.
My roo does have a bit of frostbite on his comb, but everyone else looks good.
Going to bring them out some oatmeal in a bit.
The only change I have noticed is lack of laying. Is that normal??

Yesterday was our coldest day and I got 6 eggs out of my 10 pullets. They are all new layers and that was the most I have got in one day yet. I'm pretty sure they are not all laying yet either. They did lay later in the day than normal (yesterday was -4 windchill -30 for the HIGH)

Back
Top Bottom